Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type?

/ Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
I’m looking to upgrade from my 6’ cutter to a 8’ or 10’ cutter for cutting the more open spaces on my property. I’m looking at used models on marketplace since it’s occasional use, trying to keep costs lower.

I’m seeing 3 point and pull type models. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to each? I normally lean pull type but see more 3 point hitch models for sale.

My property is hilly so I feel like the pull type would be easier on the tractor and not cause excess weight on the back for which to tip over easier.

Thoughts?

/ Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type? #2  
Don’t forget there is also a semi-mount as well. I have run a 10ft semi-mount for 13 years and wouldn’t want anything else with the hilly terrain that I maintain.

/ Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type? #3  
What tractor? And can it even lift a 10' cutter because there is a BIG jump from a 8' to a 10'. The lighter 8' mowers start around 1600-1700lbs. The lighter 10' cutters push to 2400-2400# and hang back alot farther so it feels like even more.

That said, if you have enough tractor for either, you can always use a 3PH as a semi-mount. Or just keep the tail wheels on the ground when going up hills that way you are only carrying half the weight of the cutter.

The 10' cutters are gonna cut tall stemmy stuff better just because its a bigger (longer) deck and the vegetation spends more time underneath. But it may do worse on uneven ground and more prone to scalp and/or leave high spots as the terrain changes simply because its a wider rigid deck.

ANd if you have enough machine to even consider a 3PH 10' cutter, I would think you have enough machine to look at a 12' or 15' batwing

/ Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type?
What tractor? And can it even lift a 10' cutter because there is a BIG jump from a 8' to a 10'. The lighter 8' mowers start around 1600-1700lbs. The lighter 10' cutters push to 2400-2400# and hang back alot farther so it feels like even more.

That said, if you have enough tractor for either, you can always use a 3PH as a semi-mount. Or just keep the tail wheels on the ground when going up hills that way you are only carrying half the weight of the cutter.

The 10' cutters are gonna cut tall stemmy stuff better just because its a bigger (longer) deck and the vegetation spends more time underneath. But it may do worse on uneven ground and more prone to scalp and/or leave high spots as the terrain changes simply because its a wider rigid deck.

ANd if you have enough machine to even consider a 3PH 10' cutter, I would think you have enough machine to look at a 12' or 15' batwing
I’ve got a Case 75C so I would think it would handle a 10’ cutter but figure 8’ 3 point would be better and 10’ pull type better.

Bat wings are the eventual goal but this is to leave on a remote property for cutting 1-2 times per year so I don’t want anything too fancy.

/ Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type? #5  
IF you are ever gonna trailer it while on the tractor, 8' and 3PH is certainly the easiest. 10' and you are too wide to trailer unless you put on trailer sideways and have a way to unload

/ Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type? #6  
Pull type. Always
Take it from a Custom Mowing Contractor ;)

Well I’m going to try the 8’ 3 point model. Picking it up for $2700.

Attachments

• 5FD617D3-0738-4FC7-8BDC-AC0339626E1A.jpeg
    5FD617D3-0738-4FC7-8BDC-AC0339626E1A.jpeg
    863.3 KB · Views: 42
   / Looking for a 8-10’ rotary cutter, 3 point or pull type? #8  
Last summer I went from a 37hp tractor with a 6 foot rotary cutter to a 70hp tractor with a 12 foot batwing. I was hoping it would be twice as fast, but it feels more like I'm getting 4 times as much done with just twice the power and twice the mower.

I'm really impressed with how nice the pull behind batwing hugs the ground. The three decks mold over the ground and leave a beautiful cut. It's not like my zero turn, but it's so much nicer then my 6 foot cutter ever did!!!

My thinking was that while I didn't want to spend the money on a batwing, it was crazy to have a tractor with enough power to pull one, and not have a batwing.

Last summer I went from a 37hp tractor with a 6 foot rotary cutter to a 70hp tractor with a 12 foot batwing. I was hoping it would be twice as fast, but it feels more like I'm getting 4 times as much done with just twice the power and twice the mower.

I'm really impressed with how nice the pull behind batwing hugs the ground. The three decks mold over the ground and leave a beautiful cut. It's not like my zero turn, but it's so much nicer then my 6 foot cutter ever did!!!

My thinking was that while I didn't want to spend the money on a batwing, it was crazy to have a tractor with enough power to pull one, and not have a batwing.
Oh a batwing is on the list for sure, a 12’ model in fact. Waiting till I move to the property and am there 100% of the time.