Buying Advice Looking at buying

/ Looking at buying #1  

dnf2004

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 165
I am looking at buying my first tractor, I was looking at Ford 4000, with a diesel engine and front loader. Are there any common problems with these tractors? And what should I look for that would indicate a tractor that I would want to steer clear of.

/ Looking at buying #2  
You don't say, but I am going to guess you mean a 65+ 3 cyl 4000 and not the older 4 cyl 63=64 4000 and not a 4000SU model.

the 3 cyl 4000 is a decent machine.. good front axle for a loader.. unlike the 3000 and 4000SU and the older 4 cyl weaker front axle design that used radius rods..

the 3 cyl was a great engine.. and the 4000 in general, a good machine.

about the biggest complaint I have seen is the fact they came with a lucas 12v generator and external vreg. Perhaps not the greatest track record for electronics..:) but in generaly.. the gennies are sound.. but the vregs leave a bit to be desired..

rebuilds are realitively cheap ( 50-90 $ ) and you can find aftermarket vregs int he 30-40$ range that will work.

the tach drive for that machine is on the back of the genny.

if you have some specific questions post back.

the serieal number, model ID and unit date code will be stamped on the flat of the bellhousing just aft of the starter. you can verify what options the unit left the factory with here:

FORD CODES and SERIAL NUMBERS

do look it over and make sure it is a 4000 and not a 2000/3000 with the wrong decals.

soundguy

/ Looking at buying
Thanks for the info. How are the Ford 2000 Tractors with loaders on them, because a neighbor has one that he wants to sell.

/ Looking at buying #4  
a 2000, either the 63/64 4 cyl or the 65-75 3 cyl will have a lighter duty front axle using radius rods.

Not as ideal for loader work, but.. they do work. power steering would be a plus.

just depends on how much loader work you are going to do.. and what the chores would be. if the machine is in good order and the price is right, and it will do what you need.. could be a deal.

soundguy