Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts?

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #181  
Not as of late they don't. They did way back when "Grey market', but not now. The only 'rebadged units they sell now are companies they own majority share in that produce machines and they sell them under the Kubota trademark.
More Blather.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #182  
I think this thread is actually a diamond in the rough. The OP can learn a lot here.

Regardless of brand you can have problems getting parts and service. Regardless of brands you need to do some homework. Regardless of brand you can find a great dealer or a turd Go to the dealers, sit in the seats, work the controls, get the salesman's opinion. Sit on every tractor brand. Get a quote from every tractor brand. Get a feel for their service department and parts department. Make sure they quote you a 50hr service kit and ask if they have it in stock right now.

When buying my machine, I had a size and brands that I wanted. I looked at LS, Kioti, Mahindra, Kubota and John Deere. Sat on and drove all of them besides the LS (not well represented in my area). Got quotes on Kioti, Kubota, Deere. Liked the Kubota best except for the HST peddle. Dealer engagement, service department and sales staff at the Kubota dealer were really good. Others treated me like I was buying a bag of pretzels. Price was high, but ballpark. Could I have driven 1000 miles to get a cheaper price? Probably.

As it turns out, my dealer support after sales was excellent. While I've never had a warranty claim, the assembling mechanic took the time to go over the entire machine with me (at least an hour), help me load it up and chain it down and gave me a free shackle from the parts department. They have been helpful and courteous every time I go in there and I am a loyal customer. I have purchased service parts, attachment, accessories and other branded tools from them because of the excellent service, good advice, and showroom of stock. I love my L2501 and find it to be just about perfect. I shouldn't have cheap-ed out on the options though (which the sales guy warned me about).

Good Luck.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #183  
So what I am hearing here is that some dealers are not competitive on sales prices and then try to punish the customers for buying somewhere else. This is a classic example of 'biting off your nose to spite your face'. Price your machines fairly for your market and actually provide service to customers and you will not only more easily sell additional tractors, but those customers will buy implements and non warranty service from you.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #184  
I don’t begrudge a dealer for charging what the market will handle.

in respect to service, good luck in today’s market.

as I stated, my diesel mechanic, electrician, tree service etc only take existing customers

Service for something (not purchased through) my AV guy, lighting company, irrigation, water softening ( and others) does not exist.

My dodge dealer is 6mo out for warranty (scheduled yesterday) after closer dealer referred me back to purchase dealer. (I relocated 8 months ago)

Dealer supported circles are tightening and I don’t expect any changes until competition matters again

Last edited:
   / Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #185  
I don’t begrudge a dealer for charging what the market will handle.

in respect to service, good luck in today’s market.

as I stated, my diesel mechanic, electrician, tree service etc only take existing customers

Service for something (not purchased through) my AV guy, lighting company, irrigation, water softening ( and others) does not exist.

My dodge dealer is 6mo out for warranty (scheduled yesterday) after closer dealer referred me back to purchase dealer. (I relocated 8 months ago)

Dealer supported circles are tightening and I don’t expect any changes until competition matters again
Short-sighted thinking... a person that bought something somewhere else coming to you for service is an opportunity to permanently "steal" someone else's customer. Maybe the original dealer had to turn it down due to a temporary situation (EG: worker shortage due to illness). You just blew a chance to become their new dealer for all future sales and service needs. No wonder so many dealerships seem to be failing and closing shop while others thrive.

Reminds me of when we bought our furnace many years back. It became apparent that the place where we bought it had terrible service. We switched to a local shop that does HVAC, plumbing and electrical. They do an excellent job and don't turn down work. Guess who we call first for just about anything? Guess who is going to be selling and installing our new furnace in a year or two?

Last edited:
   / Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #186  
There is no honor among thieves

As a past employer I quickly learned that succumbing to peoples demands for wage increases in hopes that they won’t leave or “matching” A competitive offer that just happen to come their way was a losing proposition.

If somebody is going to leave your company for 1$ hour or more, they are only with you for the $ to begin with. Let them leave because you will be having the same argument/wage increase discussion with them in six months, a year, 18 months etc.

(of course pay should match market demands, skill set etc, I’m just taking about the gold diggers)

It is not shortsighted to just maintain your own company base to the best of your ability

Bargain customers that you may steal by undercutting have no real loyalty to you and will go somewhere else for a cheaper rate. In my experience these are the ones to cause more headaches than benefit.

focus your efforts on the good clients, add to the portfolio until you are at capacity but still offer value and service

I’ve always been successful in all my business ventures and it worked for me, your mileage may vary

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #187  
Bargain customers that you may steal by undercutting have no real loyalty to you and will go somewhere else for a cheaper rate.
Who said anything about undercutting? I am talking about providing service at the prevailing rate, or refusal of same because they didn't purchase from you for any number of reasons.

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #188  
I understand your point but it is their business.

If they are successful/thriving it will support their model.

If business climate, competition, client base (etc) changes and affects the bottom line, changes in business practices may be in order

/ Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #189  
What until the first BIG down turn in the economy happens these tractor dealers will be begging for customers for sales/service. As a consumer I always remember the dealers who tried bone me early on and they will never get my business..

Last edited:
   / Looking at Bad Boy Tractors, thoughts? #190  
Who said anything about undercutting? I am talking about providing service at the prevailing rate, or refusal of same because they didn't purchase from you for any number of reasons.
I agree ,How many times on this site have people commented on walking into a dealership prepared to drop a load of cash and were treated like a leper, Myself included , So why would you want to buy from these guys no matter how close they are,