Looking at at a KX 41 tomorrow

/ Looking at at a KX 41 tomorrow #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
Sort of got the okay from DW to seriously look at a KX 41 Excavator tomorrow. Its an older model with open rops, boom cyl in front of the boom. It has 3,100 hrs, 16 in bucket, hydraulic thumb. Does not appear to have expandible tracks. but I can imagine the CG is relatively low. New tracks. A bit excited, a bit apprehensive.

Would something this size lift a 500lb rock at 1 metre? Owner says it weights 4400 lbs with thumb. I plan to use it to excavate for my retirement home. I have lots of time and since I am building in a hill side, not as much digging for a basement or anything.

/ Looking at at a KX 41 tomorrow #2  
I suggest that you hire the local equipment mechanic to come along for the evaluation. Preferably the brand (KX=Toyota?)
That could be the best $100 or so you might ever have spent.

I did that when I purchased a dozer and the vender did considerable repairs B4 I took delivery.
A good equipment guy will know what to look for and most know each brand's shortcomings.

/ Looking at at a KX 41 tomorrow
Thats good advise, but with -20C weather tomorrow, my main concern will be to get it started and warmed up so I can test it. If it moves and everything operates reasonably well I will be happy. Its a fairly small community and while its a private sale, its being displayed at a local tractor dealer so appears to be on the Up and Up. I will definately be looking for any signs in the snow that something is leaking etc and I am equiped to do most repairs. Bro works at a Hydraulics repair shop nearby as well.

/ Looking at at a KX 41 tomorrow #4  
I would think you would want a 8k lb machine minimum to do any kind of site work. That is a pretty small ex. But I understand budgets. I would wait for a larger machine

I would think you would want a 8k lb machine minimum to do any kind of site work. That is a pretty small ex. But I understand budgets. I would wait for a larger machine

It would be nice to have the money for an 8K machine but then I would need money for a 12K trailer. Since I don't have a basement to dig and at least a year to do the digging I am hoping this machine will do the trick. With all the snow I did not get it home till after dark. I got stuck trying to trailer it back into my camp so unloaded it and drove it in. Next project is a small dump trailer, but think I will have to build it just large enough to get this machine on because its slow. I estimate it would take an hour to drive from camp to were my home will be built about a mile away. Anyway everything works well, one brand new track, new turntable bearings. Aux Hydraulics plumbed to a thumb. It had been 112 hours since last oil change and finding that it takes the same oil filter as my B4200 that I had on hand, I changed the oil. It was -10 C outside and I figured I would circulate the oil by cranking it over without using glow plugs. Machine fired right up. I did not expect that because neither of my other two Kubotas will cold start with out glow plugs. I am also impressed by how quiet the machine is. No ear protection needed.

Attachments

• IMGP0030.jpg
    IMGP0030.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 114
The little KX41 can lift a good size log. Since the B3200 could not lift it, its probably in excess of 1,000 lbs.

Attachments

• KX41_big log.jpg
    KX41_big log.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 99