Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor..

/ Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor.. #31  
The funny thing about it is if you bought it, serviced it and ran it for 400 hours people would give you top dollar for a low hour used machine. Probably more than you will pay for it.
Yeah, they would never know it sat unused at a dealer for 3 years. Good point!

/ Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor..
Yeah I guess…..never was a big fan of a machine that sat for years. Heard lots of horror stories about failed main seals, other seals, and un lubricated parts rapidly going south when it finally starts getting use.

The other big question you have to ask is WHY did it sit so long? Why wouldn’t anyone buy it?
Well the why is easy. Its in a small town across the street from a Deere dealer and everybody bleeds green here. The 4710 is an odd duck as far as size and power, everybody goes straight for the 5711 or they go with the 4707. The 4709(2 sitting that are old stock) and 4710 are in between And dont sale as good imo.

i agree with the sitting. When the crankcase and gear boxes sit extendedly the oil migrates completely down leaving gears/valves dry and ripe for condensation if the outside temps hit right. I know thats what took out the hydro pumps on my 2yo new m59. This dealer does move them around so it probably didnt go 2 months ever without starting and thats all it takes. A good dealer moves/starts things, especially in spring when birds go to nesting. And they’re quick to nest, i saw a m6s that was completely stuffed full of bird nest and poop every where.

Last edited:
Yeah, they would never know it sat unused at a dealer for 3 years. Good point!
youd be surprised at the lot rot in certain models. I know one kubota dealer with crates of small tractors faded pink. And by crates, i mean they are shipped in crates partially assembled. Kubota suffers from this with certain models. I always go snooping.

/ Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor.. #34  
Well the why is easy. Its in a small town across the street from a Deere dealer and everybody bleeds green here. The 4710 is an odd duck as far as size and power, everybody goes straight for the 5711 or they go with the 4707. The 4709(2 sitting that are old stock) and 4710 are in between And dont sale as good imo.

i agree with the sitting. When the crankcase and gear boxes sit extendedly the oil migrates completely down leaving gears/valves dry and ripe for condensation if the outside temps hit right. I know thats what took out the hydro pumps on my 2yo new m59. This dealer does move them around so it probably didnt go 2 months ever without starting and thats all it takes. A good dealer moves/starts things, especially in spring when birds go to nesting. And they’re quick to nest, i saw a m6s that was completely stuffed full of bird nest and poop every where.

Better hope its a “good dealer”. And hope isn’t always the best plan.

Better hope its a “good dealer”. And hope isn’t always the best plan.
Try not to be so optimistic my man!…heard that from somewhere..hmmm

/ Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor.. #36  
Try not to be so optimistic my man!…heard that from somewhere..hmmm
Just never liked hope as a plan, compared to proof.
We beat this to death. I hope it works for you, I honestly do.
I’d rather see you in a older, heavier 5,000 hour Maxxum with a 5.9L Cummins in it, but you know your own situation better. I’ll get out of your lane & back in mine.

If you buy used your whole plan is based on hope. There is no proof that there’s not a an issue waiting to pop out at you. you have 5000 hours of proof that the tractor was good for 5000 hours, not that it will be good in 5001 hours. Buying new does come with a parachute. Parachutes can save you but are never fun when you are forced to use them.

This thread is basically for exactly what you are doing, yaying or naying. Good to hear all aspects. So no need to not comment, its just a thread by some idiot on the internet.

I’m 50/50 on this and will need to make a choice, like my wife says..get off the fence your chaffing your b@lls.

Random points..
-there are some issues with the 4700’s as posted here at tbn by some.
-this has been sitting on a lot for a year and a half and has 13hr on it(better than zero though)
-in this current market with what they are offering for my trade it is a ridiculously good..great deal(financially)
-I want an m6 or 5711.
-once i buy something the fun of wheeling and dealing is done.
-its cold and muddy outside and cant go ride my mx track, so i find myself researching the 4700’s to death.
- i do love a straight piped 5.9(as long as its not in a dodge)

/ Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor.. #38  
If you buy used your whole plan is based on hope. There is no proof that there’s not a an issue waiting to pop out at you. you have 5000 hours of proof that the tractor was good for 5000 hours, not that it will be good in 5001 hours. Buying new does come with a parachute. Parachutes can save you but are never fun when you are forced to use them.

Yeah, but it’s way cheaper, so you have lots of money left over. What if it’s a good tractor requiring few repairs? Then you are money ahead.

Hey, it’s worked for me about 80% of the time.

This thread is basically for exactly what you are doing, yaying or naying. Good to hear all aspects. So no need to not comment, its just a thread by some idiot on the internet.

I’m 50/50 on this and will need to make a choice, like my wife says..get off the fence your chaffing your b@lls.

Random points..
-there are some issues with the 4700’s as posted here at tbn by some.
-this has been sitting on a lot for a year and a half and has 13hr on it(better than zero though)
-in this current market with what they are offering for my trade it is a ridiculously good..great deal(financially)
-I want an m6 or 5711.
-once i buy something the fun of wheeling and dealing is done.
-its cold and muddy outside and cant go ride my mx track, so i find myself researching the 4700’s to death.
- i do love a straight piped 5.9(as long as its not in a dodge)

by what I highlighted in bold, IMO, you’ll just want to keep getting into larger equipment.

Just get it over with and buy yourself an American made, iconic tractor that can be fixed pretty easily, has tremendous popularity and will probably end up lasting longer than a new, smallish MF made in 25 different parts of the world.

Do what farmers do, Hersheyfarm. ;)

It was a rollercoaster ride. Checked out a bunch. Ended up buying a massey 5711/12x12/941x loader. I could have got another 5711 there with the dyna tranny and an fl loader(non leveling) for $4k more but i did not want the dyna tranny or the cab suspension it had. I did want the fl loader. The regular fl loader looks much better than the 941x but performance wise is only a few hundred pounds better in capacity. It’s when you go to a mechanical leveling that you gain capacity. The 900 series in mechanical leveling is almost as much. I dont know what the leveling part adds but it does.
Stuck with massey, it’s all I’ve known for the last 20 years and the only farm tractor I've owned So that played a huge part of deciding. The m6111 would have been 13k more and the dealer was an hour away. Did not want to go with cnh in either flavor even though i looked hard, mainly because i just dont know enough about them.
The reason i didnt want dyna 4 tranny is I have had the 12x12 for the last 20 years and no issues, it has enough electronics Imo. The dyna 4 in all its awesomeness is a sensor rich complicated tranny And not sure how all that will age. At least thats my thinking.
After delivery, right off the bat the heat would not work, i checked a bunch of stuff including the cable behind the knob which was an issue with dlhfarms 4710 on youtube. Called dealer and tech said he would head my way. Came out, we checked coolant lines but it ended up the cable up top was not fastened. I was just about to check it and was up on the roof taking the access off when tech called and said he was on the way, and said the coolant lines going up should circulate regardless of blend valve at top, the coolant lines heading up to the top of the cab were not hot so i stopped. Turns out he was wrong, but massey did just change all the hvac up top to address some issues and changed the valving, so the the blend knob shuts circulation off now. Easy fix, cable was not fastened down..good qc massey. But yes the tech came right out and is extremely knowledgeable and that was service i wasnt expecting. i’ve bought a lot of equipment from the lowest bidder, sometimes out of state. Let me tell you, the saying “buy the dealer, not the brand” means something now. I’d never have a tech just show up from another dealer.
They were out of the fluid for the tires, they use some soy based stuff, counterweight blue, so i said id take care of it..didnt want to wait a week for vendor to come fill their tank. They gave me a land pride bale spear($700) in exchange. Local tire guy wanted $700 to fill with windshield washer fluid, and thats fine but started reading up on the thick stuff and wanted it instead. So they are coming to pick tractor up, fill tires and bring back for just a few hundred, and give me the fluid for free. No complaints. I have to figure out where to mount my monitiors and still get used to it but it is now christened with cow poop. I held off feeding with it long enough.

IMG_7334.jpeg
IMG_7384.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg
IMG_7386.jpeg
IMG_7387.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Looking at a new 4710 leftover..$72k *update* bought a tractor.. #40  
Cute little bugger!
R-1’s….smart man

Last edited: