Buying Advice Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310
I haven't been active on TBN lately. I used to come here for lively discussions = plenty of input. I guess it's a ghost town now. Oh well…

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #12  
I've owned 3 other tractors w/o a turbo & when I got my 5303 I was hesitant about it. After running it for 6 years now, I understand it. You have a smaller engine that can put enough grunt out over the larger engines & sip fuel where the other's drank it.
No issues whatsoever with it.

Ronnie

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #13  
I went from a 4310 E hydro to a 3046, it's a great tractor, my main reason for the switch was I wanted a cab.

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #14  
Mike,
You gave me a lot of good advice in 2004 when I bought my 4410 with 430 loader and 48 backhoe.
When we sold our farm in New Hampshire and moved to Virginia last summer, I also sold the 4410 to the new owner. That tractor had 2900 hours and was good as new. We replaced the 4410 with a 3039R, with H165 loader and 385A backhoe and I can assure you it's half the machine the 4410 was, at best. The loader and backhoe functions are weaker than on the 4410 and the emissions system does a burn-off that makes so much heat, you feel it in the seat and the tractor smells like it's going to burn up... The tractor feels bulky and light in the front end most of the time.
Otherwise, it does the job bush-hogging around the farm and is useful for grading small areas and working inside the barns. It just isn't the workhorse the 4410 was. That tractor was great in the woods and reliable in every way.

WOW! Just WOW. Thank you SO much. I am very glad that I helped you and feel that the favor has just been returned! Sorry that is has been such a let down!

W O W

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #16  
I used my neighbors 4120 for years and it's a great tractor.

When I retired and moved up to Idaho I really missed not having a tractor. Then we bought some land and I went looking for tractors.

In my area the JD 4-series are almost non-existent, they have plenty of 3-series, and the 5 series on up. I tested out a 3 series and it just felt a bit, well, small and limiting compared to the 4120, even the FEL strained doing chores that were a breeze on the 4120. So I bought a 4044R sight unseen. This is the new incarnation of the 4120. And what a machine it is.

If you liked your 4120 you will love the 4044, especially the R version! The 4044 is non-turboed as well. I was very leary of the Tier-4, but it turned out to really be a non-issue. At least on the 2017's the regen no-longer exhausts up thru the hood as the earlier versions, which I believe causes all the heat the operator feels. On mine the regen now just exhausts out thru the normal side exiting exhaust. No more separate engine and regen exhaust pipes.

You might regret going down to the 3-series. I'm glad I stayed with the 4.

EDIT: I had a brain-fart and while I saw 4310, I was actually talking about a 4120. Opps. The 3039R is close to the 4310, the 4044 is the replacement for the 4120. The 4120 (& 4044) is a much larger, heavier tractor than the 3039 or 4310. Sorry for the confustion! :confused:

Last edited:
   / Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #17  
That sounds like good advice.
The salesman told me the 3039R was the closest model to the 4410; maybe on paper, I don't know...
One more comment I'll make is that whenever you have the opportunity to avoid emissions equipment, take it!

Thanks guys - It does sound like I should go up a notch. I am also looking at the Yanmar YT347 - which should be a step up in power.

Loudon - I was about to pick on your profile pic with a tractor climbing a wall, but I had better not throw stones! ;)

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #19  
Thanks guys - It does sound like I should go up a notch. I am also looking at the Yanmar YT347 - which should be a step up in power.

Loudon - I was about to pick on your profile pic with a tractor climbing a wall, but I had better not throw stones! ;)
Just a FYI on the JD 4 Series....their is absolutely no difference in FEL or 3 point lifting capacity between the 3 different models (4044, 4052, 4066). The hydraulic system is the same on them all.

The difference is in engine (& PTO) horsepower. The 4044 (44hp) is normally aspirated, the 4052 (52hp) adds a turbo and the 4066 (66hp) adds a intercooler to the turbo. All 3 have Yanmar engines btw. However the engine in the 4044 is larger than the others by a bit over 100cc's.

/ Looking at 3R series - coming from a 4310 #20  
I went from a 4310 E hydro to a 3046, it's a great tractor, my main reason for the switch was I wanted a cab.

In process of doing exactly the same, except will keep the 4310 for the tree areas and wife can do open areas in the 3046 with cab. The 4310 has worked well (at 1800 hours or do - need to change front right seal). The trees do a number on the ROP lights as well.