Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
This might be something many of us need to think about.

I want to get with my neighbors about establishing a back up communication setup. Many of us are using an app where we can rapidly mass text each other if something went wrong.

In the case that traditional systems went down, having a stand alone platform would be critical.

Definitely want handhelds so they could be multipurpose.

Our needs are a range of less than 1.5 miles, on mostly flat rural land. If every household got a radio we’re talking about a max of 20 units.

I was wondering how many of the different radios out there work with each other, or do we all have to get the same unit? (I’m not sure if all the newer ones are on the same spectrum.)

I was thinking of something that used rechargeable AAA batteries, would be best long term. Open for suggestions on this as well.

Last edited:
   / Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #2  
In our valley we had a great number of people obtain their basic ham license. We do radio checks every two weeks. This license gives a lot more power and frequency options.

You also have a lot of repeaters available in Georgia to increase coverage areas. Georgia Amateur Radio Repeaters

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #3  
A mile and a half can be optimistic for one of those little hand helds. We tried many things over the years but nothing off the counter is reliable. The ham radio mentioned above would be one option, or get some hand held MURS MIDLAND Handheld Portable Two Way Radio, BIZTALK, 16, UHF, Analog, No Display - 54YL7'|'MB4 - Grainger might better suit what you're looking for. Just remember that any radio is open band, so under the situations you are thinking of your neighbors won't be the only people listening.

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors
Thanks replete. One of the few neighbors I’ve not met appears to have a ham radio.

I was hoping there was a less complicated solution that was easier to get more people on. There are a few elderly folks in the mix.

A mile and a half can be optimistic for one of those little hand helds. We tried many things over the years but nothing off the counter is reliable. The ham radio mentioned above would be one option, or get some hand held MURS MIDLAND Handheld Portable Two Way Radio, BIZTALK, 16, UHF, Analog, No Display - 54YL7'|'MB4 - Grainger might better suit what you're looking for. Just remember that any radio is open band, so under the situations you are thinking of your neighbors won't be the only people listening.

Privacy likely won’t be as important as access to each other quickly. I’ll look at both but in a true SHTF scenario, wouldn’t we be dependent on power to the repeaters?

Also,I think a mile radius would allow most to communicate with almost everyone.

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #6  
Privacy likely won’t be as important as access to each other quickly. I’ll look at both but in a true SHTF scenario, wouldn’t we be dependent on power to the repeaters?

Also,I think a mile radius would allow most to communicate with almost everyone.

If you get the right radio you shouldn't need a repeater. MURS is what you often see on construction sites, and you also can get units to put in vehicles which will reach out 5-20 miles.

Try this one VHF MURS Handheld and Mobile Two-Way Radios - Grainger Industrial Supply although it's a bit pricier than I expected... but Grainger's usually is.

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #7  

It is surprising how many of these ham repeaters have a more robust backup power supply than some government public safety radios systems have. I am sure your local county Department of Emergency Services may have some good tips as well.
If all you want is to talk to each other than likely the GMRS radios would be of value to you and not require a license for use. I would though consider at least one individual in your network be able to reach out further than your group. In our area most fire departments have ham radio system in a station as well as a licensed user.

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #8  
Privacy likely won稚 be as important as access to each other quickly. I値l look at both but in a true SHTF scenario, wouldn稚 we be dependent on power to the repeaters?

1.5 miles over flat land should be in range for your common everyday C.B.
Base stations no problem handhelds..... have less range but should reach.

/ Looking at 2 way radios with my neighbors #9  
I use GMRS, FRS, and CB radios along with HAM. I have no problem talking between 1 to 2 miles with either CB, FRS & GMRS. GMRS you have to get a license, FRS & CB no license required. Don't know about MURS so I can't comment on them.

It is surprising how many of these ham repeaters have a more robust backup power supply than some government public safety radios systems have. I am sure your local county Department of Emergency Services may have some good tips as well.
If all you want is to talk to each other than likely the GMRS radios would be of value to you and not require a license for use. I would though consider at least one individual in your network be able to reach out further than your group. In our area most fire departments have ham radio system in a station as well as a licensed user.

We have 1 ham radio enthusiast. Well, he appears to have the antenna array at least!

I’ll read up on the GMRS.

As for CB, do they make handheld units? I’ll update the original post with that.