Looking at 15 series

/ Looking at 15 series #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
I've been tractor shopping for a while, but just recently started seriously considering the smaller 15 series tractors. I think that the 2615 is the largest that I will consider, and would probably stop at the gear version because of local pricing. I am considering anything in the range from the 1815 to that tractor for my 13 acres, and would appreciate any input people using them could give me. Besides, there has been a lot of talk here about the big ones lately. :) I have something over 3 acres that I finish mow. Some of it is a bit rough, and there are some short steeper areas. I have a Simplicity Legacy for the mowing, but would like to do at least most of it with something different. The other ten acres are wooded, wet in places, and rocky everywhere. I've attached a couple of pictures to give you an idea of my conditions. I will be running a small 4" chipper tilling gardens, getting out firewood a little at a time, doing a little clearing, and improving my trails / logging roads. I may be digging some rocks, and smaller stumps, so a backhoe isn't out of the question. The wooded shot is one of the trails that I plan on improving.

Attachments

• 100_0257.JPG
    100_0257.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_0185.JPG
    100_0185.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 291
  • Ocean Storm 2007 003.jpg
    Ocean Storm 2007 003.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 285
   / Looking at 15 series #2  
I would look at the 2015 gear or HST as I think they would easily do your job and with the Mahindra customer price reduction rebate on them, they would be your best bang for the buck. I would actually choose the HST model just for the live PTO. Good luck and have fun tractor shopping.

/ Looking at 15 series #3  
I seriously looked at the 2615 when I was shopping, but finally decided on the 3215 4WD. The only reason was the extra HP the 32 had. I am sure the 2615 would have been plenty, but I went with the 32 and have been totally happy. I am sure whatever you pick you will be impressed with the work it can do. Good luck.

/ Looking at 15 series
"with the Mahindra customer price reduction rebate on them"
Galen, is that price reduction in addition to the discount for paying in cash instead of financing now?

/ Looking at 15 series
In looking at the 2015 yesterday, I noticed that the loader removal is different than many tractors that size. Do you have to remove that bottom plate to dismount the loader? Are users happy with the setup?

/ Looking at 15 series #6  
I have a 2015HST and I positively love it. I am amazed at how much I have managed to get accomplished with this tractor and how powerful it is for it's size. It's just large enough to get the job done while being small enough that it doesn't take over the garage. The 4wd is great in the snow, especially with the locking differential. Although one time I managed to get stuck in a snowbank, I was able to ease myself out by using the front end loader as leverage. So far I would guess that I have hauled maybe 4 cords of firewood with this tractor.

The only downside I see on the tractor, if you can call it that, is that the locking differential pedal is sort of on the small side, and a few times I was thinking I was pressing down on the pedal, when all I was pushing down on was the footrest.

Other than that, it's easy to operate, the loader is nice and smooth and the engine is very quiet and uses very little diesel fuel. Right now I am guessing I get about 8-10 hours of use out of a tank of fuel. So I would say, roughly $18 worth of diesel gets me around 16-20 hours of use. What gas powered tractor would run 10 hours on a tank of gas?

I'm so sold on diesel power now, I am thinking of selling my cub garden tractor just so I can purchase an older diesel mower like a Kubota 5100 for mowing with.

/ Looking at 15 series #7  
ChuckinNH said:
In looking at the 2015 yesterday, I noticed that the loader removal is different than many tractors that size. Do you have to remove that bottom plate to dismount the loader? Are users happy with the setup?

The bottom plate actually doesn't come off, it's built like a hinge. There is a stand that is inside one of the cross bars. That gets pulled out, the loader rests on that like a leg, and through some maneuvering, the tractor backs out from the loader (and hydraulic couplers are disconnected). I have not tried to remove it, but it looks like the first time it would take a little time to figure out how to do it exactly, and then after that it would be easy. Let me know, if you need more information, and maybe I can add a picture of that page from the manual here.

/ Looking at 15 series #8  
The pics I found of the ML104 seem to have the same mount as my ML108H. I've been happy with mine, though I don't consider it a "quick detatch" due to it requiring a wrench. I keep a cheap ratchet wrench in my tractor tool box. it may take me 2 minutes longer than a loader w/ pins. take the nuts & washers off and the plate swings down, put them back on for safe keeping.

/ Looking at 15 series
NEFirewood, thanks for the input, and help. My decision process is still headed in a couple different directions, but your positive experience is sure helpful. How do you like the Woods RFM, and the RFM in general? (BTW I was an R&D toolmaker, and ran that department for many years)
shvl73, Ah, that makes sense! I looked at it quickly in the cold, and didn't get down in the snow to look to see how it was attached. You are piling up the hours on yours... still like it?

/ Looking at 15 series #10  
ChuckinNH said:
You are piling up the hours on yours... still like it?
I'm still very happy with mine.
I often stop and look at other tractors in my travels and i still feel it compares very well.