Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide.

/ Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide. #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
I am looking at attachments for a Ford 8n. What I am doing is cleaning up a 1 acre lot. What I need to do is move some dirt, cut in a drive way, and maintain the growth. The implements I'm interested in are a back blade, finish mower, and someway to move dirt. Back blades are pretty easy to come by and dead simple, so no big deal there. I am a bit lost on finish mowers that would work within the limits of the 8n. I'm also looking at something like a 3pt hitch mounted dirt scoop. When I worked on the farm as a kid, we had a Massey Ferg 35 with a dirt scoop we used when mucking stalls. We hand loaded it with pitch forks and shovels. I don't think we ever actually scooped dirt with it. What implements, brand and model, would you recommend for the Ford 8n?

/ Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide. #2  
IMPLEMENTS SURVEY:

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...closure)/Ford-8N-Attachments-Specs-s/4517.htm

I am lost on finish mowers that would work within the limits of the 8n.

Ford 8N​

Ford 8N tractor photo
1947 - 1952
N Series
Utility tractor

Ford 8N Power
PTO (claimed)27.32 hp
20.4 kW
PTO (tested)23.24 hp
17.3 kW

Dimensions
Width64.75 inches
164 cm
Front tread48/52/56/60/64/68/72/76 inches
121/132/142/152/162/172/182/193 cm
Rear tread48/52/56/60/64/68/72/76 inches
121/132/142/152/162/172/182/193 cm

Determine your outside-to-outside measure of rear tire spread. You will be well served by a Finish Mower about 12" wider than rear tire spread, so 6" of Finish Mower extends beyond each side of your rear tires.

I do not see engine power being a limiting factor with 72" width Finishing Mower used to cut dry grass no more than 4" tall, with fairly sharp mower blades.

VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide. #3  
I'm also looking for something like a 3pt hitch mounted dirt scoop. When I worked on the farm as a kid, we had a Massey Ferg 35 with a dirt scoop we used when mucking stalls. We hand loaded it with pitch forks and shovels. I don't think we ever actually scooped dirt with it.

3PH DIRT SCOOP VENDERS:
compact tractor dirt scoop

Many here would add soil containment end plates to an 84" wide rear/angle blade to move dirt short distances, rather than buying a dirt scoop in addition to a rear/angle blade.

VENDERS: end plates for tractor rear angle blade

Last edited:
   / Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide. #4  
Don't forget the over-running clutch for the mowers,8N,9N

/ Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide.
Thanks for the upsale Jeff. lol You haven't seen my other post replies. I'm not going into business. I'm just trying to clean up a piece of land, sell off the tractor, and move on. There are pleanty of finish mowers that the 8N will run in the 60 inch veritey. I've ran them behind a 8N, but that was in the late 80's. I don't remember brand names. Most require 15 to 20 hp to run. I'm not bush hogging rough land. Dirt scoop is more of a want than anything. After I run the blade, it would be nice to scoop the dirt and move it. I have ran many tractors over the years of various sizes. I understand my needs and my intented uses. Plus, I have a good deal on the 8N that will allow me to do what I need to do without losing money. I rarely have a need for a tractor. Once everything is done, the tractor will be sold off this fall or next spring. If I had the money to blow, I'd own a Kubota. We have a dealer that has excellent pricing, especially on tractors with attachment packages. Heck, they'll evne sell a customer a trailer to load everything on to take it home.

/ Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide. #7  
An 8N will handle a 6' finish mower just fine, I cut 6 acres for several years with that setup until I traded for a larger tractor. Get a blade wide enough to cover your tracks and a dirt/pond scoop is a poor mans loader. A lot of dirt can be moved with one once you get it adjusted.

/ Look at used attachments for a Ford 8n. Help me decide. #8  
My dad moved a lot of dirt with an 8N and a scoop. He still has both.