Long Tractor hydraulic leak

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak #1  

Fireman_Mike

Tractor
John Deere 950
I have a Long 560 tractor with a hydraulic leak from the transmission case. The drain plug and two holes in line with the axles and drain plug are on the bottom side of the case. One hole is plugged with a bolt and jam nut. The other hole is wide open and the parts manual does not show anything for it. Any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpeg
    IMG_3427.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3426.jpeg
    IMG_3426.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
   / Long Tractor hydraulic leak #2  
From which hole is it leaking?

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak
The one to the left of the drain plug in the second photo

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak #5  
Looks like the brake setup on that tractor uses brake bands and you're missing the set screw and jam nut on one side.

Those set screws with jam nuts adjust the band so it sits close to the drum but without touching it. Without that set screw, the weight of the band is just pushing down and rubbing on the drum creating extra wear for no reason.

If it's leaking oil there, you may have a seal going bad inside the rear end housing, as I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any oil on the brake compartment.

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak #6  
The bolt and jam nut are for centering the brake band. You don't want to simply seal up the hole. Oil leaking there indicates a seal leaking between the axle shaft and differential housing. Did you not notice the other holes with cotter pins dangling? You have dry brakes operating in those compartments.

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak
Thank you for answering my million dollar queestion. I was able to find the part numbers in the book once you said they are adjustment screws for the brake drums.
So where would one find those missing itms since no one seems to have new ones. Do you know if a salvage tard that has Long tractors?

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak #8  
Can't help you with a salvage yard but if you can identify the diameter and thread pitch of the adjustment screw on the other side, you can simply get a bolt and a jam nut. It will most likely be metric.

/ Long Tractor hydraulic leak #9  
I would simply take the other one out, use it as a sample, and look for a bolt and nut the same size. It's probably m10 or m12, and most likely 1.25 thread pitch.