Long-term storage problems

/ Long-term storage problems #1  

Danica

Silver Member
Tractor
CNH TC40DA & Ford 1920
Hi, I hope this isn't a dumb question: due to divorce, I had to store *my* CNH TC40DA tractor for the last 16 months. I did have stabil put in the diesel fuel and filled the tank to the top. She is in a secure storage facility, completely away from the elements etc. If I were to go there in a couple months, could I assume that after 16 months in storage:

a) the battery is still ok?
b) the fuel is still good (it is in wisconsin which is cold)
c) the hoses etc will not deteriorate
d) the tires will be ok

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (bringing her back this spring when my new barn is done!!!).

Danica

/ Long-term storage problems #2  
Live in SW Michigan and own several Kubota Diesel Engine powered tractors.
The lead-acid batteries like to be charged for maximum longevity - but not over charged.
Keep them all on a trickle charger with full charge sensining circuitry to self turnoff when the lead-acid is fully charged. (I paid $23.00 each for Sears units on sale). Can do better or worse. Check out Mills Fleet and Farm or Blainse Farm and Fleet there in WI. Can always check out Northern Tool too.
These Kubotas have mechanical fuel pumps and need to be primed when air bound. Not hard to do - but inconvienent. So modifing all with electric fuel pumps, which will self prime.
Diesel fuel degrades in warm temperatures - microbes- and gels in cold weather (not really as serious a problem if you do not try to start while gelled.
I use over the road diesel (because of all of the additives already in it - to avoid consumer complaints) and various over the counter diesel fuel additives and stabilizers. I rely on a good local tractor repair shop to supply me with the additional additatives.

/ Long-term storage problems #3  
Hi, I hope this isn't a dumb question: due to divorce, I had to store *my* CNH TC40DA tractor for the last 16 months. I did have stabil put in the diesel fuel and filled the tank to the top. She is in a secure storage facility, completely away from the elements etc. If I were to go there in a couple months, could I assume that after 16 months in storage:

a) the battery is still ok?
b) the fuel is still good (it is in wisconsin which is cold)
c) the hoses etc will not deteriorate
d) the tires will be ok

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (bringing her back this spring when my new barn is done!!!).

Danica

Usually the owners manual has the recommended procedures for storing a tractor long term. They include fogging oil for the cylinders , etc. But that's water under the bridge for you. Diesel fuel doesn't deteriorate like gas does and you were smart to fill the tank fully so there shouldn't be any water condensed in there. Didn't know Stabil could be use for diesel. I'd charge up the battery before I tried a start. If the fuel filters have drains on them you might open them to let out any possible water that was in them and reprime the fuel sytem. Then start it up and after about 2-3 minutes at idle, warm it up at about 1200 rpm til it starts to show some temperature on the gauge and put it to work. After you work it for a while(5-10 hrs) you might consider changing the engine oil.
As long as the tractor was storedout of the sunlight you don't have to worry about the tires and the fuel lines deteriorating.

/ Long-term storage problems #4  
BATTERY! This will most likely need replaced. If left in the tractor it probably discharged over this time period. My thoughts on secure storage brings to mind a Lock and Store type garage. This provides shelter but cold weather will freeze a discharged battery. I would replace the battery and check all fluid levels before trying to start. Do not use starting fluid. Good Luck- you did what you could.

/ Long-term storage problems #5  
It's all great advice. If the battery won't take a charge, replace it. The fuel should be ok. Tires and hoses would deteriorate the same if they are in a storage area, barn, or garage. Give them a quick visual for excessive cracking. I think you'll be fine.

/ Long-term storage problems
Thank you all for the good advice! Unfortunately, there's no electric in the unit so no trickle charger possible. I figured I'd have to buy a new battery, for sure. That's probably $100 or so I suppose. Otherwise, I will look into what Jerry/MT said re draining water from the injectors (?) though that may be a bit beyond me. Yes, I topped it off at a truck stop so the diesel is probably the good kind and there is a diesel additive to prevent gelling and "improve" the fuel which i put in before i stored it. So thanks everyone!

/ Long-term storage problems #7  
If the tractor was stored with a full tank of treated fuel and you didn't have fuel quality issues beforehand, chances are you won't have them now. The tractor will probably start after removing the battery cables, cleaning the posts and clamps, and jumpstarting it. Do check to be sure the battery hasn't fully discharged and the electrolyte hasn't frozen before attempting to charge or jumpstart. Exploding batteries are dangerous.
Save the battery purchase until you know that you need one.

/ Long-term storage problems #8  
Not sure with your tractor but with my Kubota's they recommend locking the clutch pedal down for long term storage. There is even a hook near the pedal to do it although it could be done with a piece of wood or something. The idea is so the clutch plates do not freeze together during extended storage.

MarkV

/ Long-term storage problems #9  
Guys, she said it's BEEN in storage for 16 months.

I would agree with everyting Rick stated. But I would expect to buy a new battery.

/ Long-term storage problems #10  
I prefer to drain the whole system of fuel if it is to be stored for extended periods of time. Run the fuel in the lines out until it stalls. Leave a low point open.
Putting it back into service - requires filling and venting all the way through the fuel filter and injectors.
If no trickle charger - take the battery out - take it home - and put it on a trickle charger at the house. - same effect.