Long term planning of selling your home?

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #11  
I see that here also. People can't even find places to buy or rent, and they are building like crazy. Where are all these people coming from?
Around here, these appear to be city dwellers and relocators who have cashed out. Plus the stray lone proprietor whose business is doing well.

Half a mile up the road, 10 acre lots (used to be farms) 1.25 - 2.5 million dollar range. Small builders. Further up the road seven miles, hundreds of homes and apartments going in. Another well to do cliental.

No to little talk of "affordable" housing in this area.

And....it is not just homes. Businesses are expanding like crazy too. There is a frigging hotel going up where the homes and apartments are. Even the airport is expanding. From local to regional carrier service.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #12  
I make my living working on peoples homes, and I get jobs every year from home owners wanting to get their places ready to sell.

In my opinion, the smart ones are the ones that have talked to a good realtor that was blunt and honest with them about their house. Homes are like fashion. Most buyers don't have a clue about quality, layout, or issues. They look at paint color, lighting, cabinets and whatever the latest trend is. The best house in the world, for the best price, is going to struggle to sell if it's painted the wrong colors. People cannot get past what they see in front of them.

When I say "good realtor" I'm referring to those that sell dozens of homes every year. The tops ones here will sell a house every week. The vast majority of realtors are lucky if they sell one a month, and some only sell a few a year. Never talk to a realtor because that person is family, a friend, or even worse, a friends relative. Find out who the top 5 or top ten sellers are in your area. They are doing something different then the others.

DO NOT HIRE ANYONE until you have talked to all of them!!!!!!

Most realtors get hired because they are nice. Nice is good, but you want smart, knowledgeable and a proven record of getting the job done.

The realtor will tell you what buyers want, and what they are not liking in a house in your area. This is very different all over the country. What sells here probably wont do as well there. Do what the realtor tells you to do, and nothing more.

My clients tend to want to spend money on things that they have always wanted to do, or what has bothered them for years. A lot of the time, it's not something that will affect the sell of the house, and they are just wasting money. You are not fixing the house for you. Whatever you do to the house is to make it more desirable to as many potential buyers as possible.

Things that I would suggest you do before selling is to declutter. The more stuff you get out of the house, the more open it will appear. Wall color has a big impact on buyers. Something neutral and uniform through out the house is the safest. White is probably the best choice for wall colors right now. Bathrooms and kitchen should have a very sanitary feel to them. Tile, grout, cabinets should all be as close to pristine as possible. I just removed 5 layers of wallpaper from a bathroom a month ago, then textured the walls and painted. It looks like a totally different bathroom. Flooring needs to be something current, clean and in good shape. Kitchen's are where you make your money, or lose it. The current trend is to paint the cabinets white. I hate it, but it's what buyers are wanting. Granite counters will sell a house faster then any other single improvement. Curb appeal, some flowers and a lawn in good shape are also important to getting top dollar.

If you can, try to walk through some new homes to see what the builders are doing. They hire people to figure out what buyers want.

Never do anything that is too trendy. Odds are that it will look great today, but be embarrassing in a couple years. Be VERY CAREFUL about letting your wife made decisions on design. They tend to be more influenced by trends, and what everyone else is doing. I can't even count how many times I've met with clients that tell me they want to remodel their kitchen or bathroom, and they want it to be the last remodel that they ever do because the last one went out of style and became dated. Just think of glass tile and how it was so popular just a few years ago. Then they tell me that they want fake marble tile, subway tile and grey paint. This is the most current trend, and the one that every wife seems to copy from every other wife.

Also keep in mind, that it's easy to spend tens of thousands of dollars on getting a house ready to sell, and not seeing any of that money in the final sales price. Your realtor will tell you if you will get more money for a remodel, or painting, or landscaping. And if you should, or should not spend that money.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #13  
Wife and I both retired within the last year. Discussed selling and moving closer to the kids, grandkids, and siblings that are 1 1/2 - 2 hours away. We couldn't sell and replace what we have now without spending double what we would get when we sell. Decided to stay, expand the shop, and do some renovations here. What trips we will take to see family are not that bad. Plus, there were no guarantees the kids wouldn't move away due to career changes.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #14  
The way the market is in our area, I would be hesitant to spend any money to update before a sale. Even with interest rates as high as they are, there is still more demand than available places for sale. Unless you are way out of line on the asking price houses don’t seem to be on the market long.
There may not be multiple buyers trying to out bid each other but the sales are pretty brisk.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #15  
If I could hit the replay button I would have started on selling mine 5 years before retirement. You collect a lot of junk over a lifetime and it's harder to get rid of than buy. I've been dealing with decluttering while trying to build my cabin over 100 miles away. Of course i never planned for crazy lumber prices and coof. That set my building project back a couple years. My place will be likely sold as a fixer-upper as others have stated people might rip out that brand new vinyl plank you put down. I see lots of stainless steel kitchens that look like some industrial place. I never understood that trend and refuse to adapt. Thankfully all my walls are a neutral white and I'll keep painting to a minimum. One friend suggested I just rent the place out but I really want to wash my hands of the place. My parents tried rental property in the 70's and had a horrible experience with their first renters. It was bad enough they sold the place after getting those renters out and never bought rental property again.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #16  
We know a guy who retired to a horse farm in rural middle Tennessee. Then the horse farm got to be too much. He sold it and moved to a small city here. Now he's selling his city house in order to return to his family in Boston, MA. Haven't asked him, but I'd think all of that cost him chunk of cash.

Main thing I'd say about a retirement home is to buy or build so it's wheel chair friendly in case that situation ever arises. We hope it doesn't, but stairs can be a problem later in life.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #17  
I don't buy the "spend money to renovate to sell the house" plan because the buyers will likely tear everything you added out and replace it with something to their own taste. Renovating and hoping to please an unknown someone else is good money thrown away IMHO.

I'd recommend renovating now for YOU to enjoy your home for the next 5 years. Then sell. Re-paint before you list.

Or sell now and buy/build new. That will give you 5-10 years of no to low headaches. If you are still spry then do it again, else buy a condo and only worry about the paint on the inside walls.

In 2016 we decided to sell our split level and have our pole barn house built, my wife repainted every room and we had the living room and stairs recarpeted and put the snap together flooring in the kitchen and dining room, less than $1000 total, we had the realtor appraise our house to put it for sale, he told me what comparable were going for and what he thought we could get for ours, I said I wanted to start $15,000 higher than that, it sold in 1-1/2 days for asking price. Well worth our money spent

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #18  
if you're looking at selling your home in 5 years, exactly when do you start the process and plan?
I started that in 2009.
You should have started already.
But reading your posts you have.

As always @EddieWalker gives excellent advice.

Immediately list the knowns -
Plumbing repairs,
Electrical problems, if any
Roof replacement
Separate out what you can do without hiring and start keeping track of contractors you'd like to hire for the rest.

And what will be the probable value of your property in 5 years?

For example in 2012 my house in Alexandria, Va was valued at < $450K, now the value is about $800K, That's a $40K+ increase per year.
IF we had sold in 2012 when we bought in Mississippi the value would not have gone up any ways near as much.

Also scope out what I'll call "the Hitchhiker's effect", or the "Riptides".
Reading @riptides post about the possibility of a major ROW coming through his property (or in "the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" the demolition of the Earth by a Vogon constructor fleet to make way for a hyperspace bypass) shows that we never can fully know what higher powers have planned for us.
I've a property in Mississippi we inherited about 15 years ago. Very rural, low value woodland. "They" have gone and put a 4 lane divided highway along one boundary. Drastically raising the value of the land.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #19  
I’m selling my home right now. We are going to probably rent, wait for the upcoming financial collapse (which I hear from reliable sources is going to be epic) and then buy when the RE market bottoms out.
I somewhat missed the peak of the market last year, but am still going to do pretty well. We can pay our rented house monthly rent with interest on the money from selling our home almost in perpetuity.
I've been waiting for the Canadian market to collapse again for 20 years now. The 2008 recession missed us completely. Then they stopped paying interest on savings and made money free. Now everybody here is buying real estate because it's the only way to get a return on your cash because buyers expect valuations to keep exceeding inflation.

Hard to wait for the music to stop playing when the government is bringing in 1 million new immigrants every year to prop up the boomers hitting retirement mode and expecting to cash out indefinitely.

/ Long term planning of selling your home? #20  
Lots of good advice here.

We retired 7+ years ago at age 55. We spent a couple of years looking for a place off and on with the intentions of downsizing and getting into a single story home. We even considered building again. We gave up, we cannot replace what we have. Our criteria was pretty strict, we have 45 acres so privacy was at the top of the list, we also wanted water front, in upstate NY or Vermont. We decided to stay where we are. Yes, the house is too big and the outside chore list is endless. We've updated the HVAC, kitchen and baths and replaced the roof, so house maintenance is minimal, other than painting the cedar siding every 5 years. If the time ever comes that one of us cannot do stairs, we can lose a closet and install an elevator. I designed the house with this in mind 30 years ago.

For us the advantages of staying put outweighed the benefits to moving/down sizing. Our neighbors are great. We're less than an hour to the important stuff - family, groceries, lumber yard, doctors, airport, etc.