3-Point Hitch Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending

/ Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending #1  

wthforever

Tractor
Long
Does anyone have information on why my lower link bars continue to bend (and eventually break). I am fairly new to tractors and perhaps it is something I am doing wrong. I did not have problems while bushhogging but it began when I began using the disc harrow. While making a turn, the lower link broke and the disc fell to the ground, the other one was bent pretty badly. I assumed that perhaps I just didn't raise the disc up far enough on the turn, although I thought I was raising it up.
I weld repaired the broken one and bought a new one for the other side. I began discing again, being extremely careful, going slow, making sure I raised the disc completely on the turns. I took a break after half hour and just looked at the new link. The paint on it had crumbled so I knew it had bent a little. As I continued on, the bend got worse and worse until it had a significant curve in it. I'm sure it will break as well if I continue using it. The sway chains are fairly tight, the link can't hit the tires.
The first two photos are the original one that broke and the bent one on the other side. The other two are from the current configuration with one severely bent.
Bent lower link  when other side broke.jpgBroken lower link.jpgCurrent New Link Bent2.jpgCurrent New link bent1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending #2  
Does anyone have information on why my lower link bars continue to bend (and eventually break). I am fairly new to tractors and perhaps it is something I am doing wrong. I did not have problems while bushhogging but it began when I began using the disc harrow. While making a turn, the lower link broke and the disc fell to the ground, the other one was bent pretty badly. I assumed that perhaps I just didn't raise the disc up far enough on the turn, although I thought I was raising it up.
I weld repaired the broken one and bought a new one for the other side. I began discing again, being extremely careful, going slow, making sure I raised the disc completely on the turns. I took a break after half hour and just looked at the new link. The paint on it had crumbled so I knew it had bent a little. As I continued on, the bend got worse and worse until it had a significant curve in it. I'm sure it will break as well if I continue using it. The sway chains are fairly tight, the link can't hit the tires.

Slacken the sway chains so there is no binding in any lift position. Lift the implement out of the ground when turning. Drive the tractor straight when the disc is engaged in the ground.

The lower links should not bend if these details are followed.

/ Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending
So basically slacken the sway chains as much as possible without it being able to hit the tires? I guess i don't understand exactly what you mean by "there is no binding in any lift position". Also I'm attaching pictures to see if there could possibly be something attached incorrectly.

/ Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending #4  
Regarding the statement - "there is no binding in any lift position". You must be able to move the disk - side to side - slightly when in any position of lift. You DO NOT want the sway chains so tight as to completely eliminate this slight side to side motion.

Just a thought - - is it possible that the disk is bigger than should be used on your tractor.

I can still push my disk - side to side - around an inch or so, each way, when in the full lift position.

I guess it is possible, it's a pretty heavy disc. I believe the tractor is orignally a 41 HP tractor and it doesn't have any trouble lifting it or pulling it. But that doesn't really say anything about the ability of the lower bar. I've talked to several with "similar" Long tractors that all said it shouldn't be bending the 1/2 inch bar. But I don't know the weight limits and what forces are on it when it is in the dirt.
Also, I understand what you mean now about the tightness of the sway chains, I believe that's about how they are set, but I'm gonna receheck everything.

/ Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending #6  
Your check or sway chains must be on the same center line as the front pin of the lower links.

Leejohn, Can you clarify exactly what you mean by this, I'm fairly new at this.

/ Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending #8  
Are both the front and rear gangs free of the soil when the hydraulic control is in the raised position?

How many pans (discs) make up your Disc Harrow? What is the diameter of the pans?

Your Lower Links are puny by today's standards but they should not bend or break pulling a properly adjusted Tandem Disc Harrow.

You must never push the Disc Harrow with the pans in the dirt and the tractor in reverse. The Lower Link chain stabilizers provide no support when the tractor is in reverse. It would be fairly easy to bend the Lower Links pushing a Disc Harrow.

The undersize Quick Link holding your chain stabilizer together on the left side is a failure waiting to happen.

/ Long 460 Lower Link Bars bending #9  
Your check or sway chains must be on the same center line as the front pin of the lower links.

No they don't! But if they are not, there needs to be sufficient slack in the sway limiters to accommodate the difference.

That's why I advised to adjust the sway chains so there is no binding in any position. 'Covers all the options. ;-)

Are both the front and rear gangs free of the soil when the hydraulic control is in the raised position?

How many pans (discs) make up your Disc Harrow? What is the diameter of the pans?

Your Lower Links are puny by today's standards but they should not bend or break pulling a properly adjusted Tandem Disc Harrow.

You must never push the Disc Harrow with the pans in the dirt and the tractor in reverse. The Lower Link chain stabilizers provide no support when the tractor is in reverse. It would be fairly easy to bend the Lower Links pushing a Disc Harrow.

The undersize Quick Link holding your chain stabilizer together on the left side is a failure waiting to happen.
Thanks for the info. The disc harrow is an old Ford Dearborn with some heavy channel iron, 6 to 6-1/2 feet wide (See photo). 16 pans, I believe they are 18" if I remember correctly when I purchased it a couple of months ago, possibly 20, but would have to measure it. Yes, both the front and rear gangs are well off the ground when in raised position
Also, I believe the lower bars are basically the same as those on the old Ford tractors, 8N, 9N, Jubilee, etc and I haven't heard of these problems from my friends that own them.
Disc Harrow.jpg