Lolly Column

/ Lolly Column #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
My present project includes a couple or more Lolly Columns. I was wondering, if times had changed in the Home Depot and Lowe's these days
I reciently purchased one from Lowes and the top and bottom plate were 'included' (or they didn't choose to scan the plates).For years Ive bought from local stores and the plates are part of the purchase.
However at Home Depot I was charge the extra $4.97 for each plate. I had assumed this was if they were purchased separately without the pole. But was told they were a separate item. The two plates cost more than half the cost of the column.
The store employees don't know that it is part of the pole?
The company chooses to separate the costs to make it appear that the pole is less expensive?
A buddy just had the same problem, He told me they wanted to charge the extra for plates on 15 columns he was going to purchase.They stood their ground and He went to Lowes. Leaving the 15 poles in the cart.
Perhaps just that management doesn't know ?
Anyone have similar situation?

/ Lolly Column #3  
Are you talking about the pressed 1/8" steel plates with the dimples to center onthe post? Or the heavy welded 1/4" jobbers? Thin ones come with the posts. Thick ones we call Springfield caps, IIRC.
Jim

Last edited:
   / Lolly Column
Yes the thin ones.These are usually standard with them. but they sell them separate for just under 5 bucks.
It seems they leave it to an arguing point. They (HD) will "give" them if you insist and throw a fit. Otherwise if you nicely as if they come with them or if you just wait and see what happens at the check out they will scan and charge you for them.
I was going to check Lowe's today when I was there but was so mad after waiting on a skid of cement to be dropped so I could get one bag,and four lousy lag bolts that seemed like it was gonna take an act of god for them to get a price and not take my work that they were 75 cents each.LOL that I didn't look at the columns.Geeze.What a monster they have created running the local hardwares out...Sorry to add the rant. But i feel better LOL.

/ Lolly Column #5  
I just bought one this week. It had the plates in the box.

/ Lolly Column
im a box? wow never seen them in a box before.They are so heavy...good to know though