log splitters, stand alone

/ log splitters, stand alone #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
Has anyone seen one of these little things in action.
http://www2.primushost.com/~logsplit/index.html
Looks like a cool concept, a great cycle time and a little engine.

gary

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gmason on 12/20/01 11:57 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ log splitters, stand alone #2  
yes they work great, but are alittle pricey. if ya got lots of wood thats the splitter to get. even in electric.

James "woody" Mills

/ log splitters, stand alone #3  
woodmills1
Looks about like a horizontal punch press, are 2 hands required to initiate a cycle or could 1 hand end up in harms way?
I'm accepting the word of a fellow TBN'er here/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif that they work well. Not sure if I'm crazy about a complete cycle once it's triggered. Especially some of the "crap wood" that I'll split. Appears to not go vertical, correct? So all the wood has to be lifted onto the table. One other question, up to 25 tons pressure in a 2 second complete cycle time w/ (appears to be in picture) unguided ram? TIA for any additional comments on it, just don't look like something I'd want the wife to run.
regards
Mutt

/ log splitters, stand alone #4  
i think it is a rack and pinion drive off a flywheel. i don't have one but have seen them run they work like mad. many volume dealers who don't have processors use them.

James "woody" Mills

/ log splitters, stand alone #5  
Mutt, I have one of their older splitters, only 1 hand is needed to start the cycle. The ram is guided along an "I" beam the same as a hydraulic splitter. Crap wood may take several hits to split and you can stop the ram mid cycle. The machine does not operate vertical. In easy splitting wood it will keep 4 people busy, 1 operating the splitter and 3 carrying wood to and from the splitter. HTH. dlb

/ log splitters, stand alone #6  
dlb & woodmills1
<font color=blue>it will keep 4 people busy</font color=blue>Whoa!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.That's smokin'!
Thanks for the replies. In a shop setting, there's a lot of safety requirements, which for some operators, are quite necessary. Keep on splittin' Carefully/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
regards
Mutt

/ log splitters, stand alone
I haven't seen a price sheet for them as yet, but given that it only takes a small motor, and motors are typically 1/2 the cost on a log splitter, I thought they might be more economical. I guess the "new" technology is part of the cost.

If this system works so well, (I'm not saying it does or doesn't), why aren't there people copying it? If you look at the specs, quickest cycle time by several time over a hydraulic pump, small engine needed(even electric) 15+ ton capacity, only one person needed to operate. Do they have a competitor out there or are they the only ones using this system.

I'm really leaning toward a Timberwolf PTO driven splitter anyway, but wanted to explore other options.
BTW, I don't think Lowes or Home Depot are carrying Splitters anymore. I've not seen them at the stores for almost a year now around here, and their web sites don't list any either.

Woodmills, can you comment on any of these questions/comments?

thanks
gary

/ log splitters, stand alone #8  
i understand that this company is quite old. check the sawmill and woodlot mag from aug/sept 99 for an article on their product.
The Super Split address, phone and E-Mail is:

GFX Corporation
608 Spring Street
East Bridgewater
MA 02333

Tel: 508-378-7100, FAX: 508-378-7122
email: logsplit@shore.net

http://www2.shore.net/~logsplit/price.html

Super Split Order Form and Price List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quan. Model+Specifications Price Totals

___ "J-MODEL"
___ 3/4 Elec. or ___ 3 HP Briggs & Stratton

___ low speed, wide balloon tires $1,804.00 _______
___ high speed tires, trailer kit $1,926.00 _______
Power Options -
___ 1 HP electric motor add $54.00 _______
___ 4 HP Honda add $189.00
_______

SPECIAL EDITION MODEL"
8 HP 2:1 GEAR REDUCTION HONDA

___ low speed, wide balloon tires $3,360.00 _______