Log Splitter Pump Rotation

/ Log Splitter Pump Rotation #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hi all.
Does anyone know why all the log splitter pumps from Surplus Center are CW rotation?
Am I missing something, most small engines turn CCW when lookin at the shaft?

I would like like to use a side shaft engine that spins CCW but they do not sell them. I have a brand new 13gpm CW rotation pump that my brother gave me. Is there a way to change the rotation of the pump without using pulleys or gears? I want to mount it directly to the engine with a love joy.

Thanks,
Andy

/ Log Splitter Pump Rotation #2  
You are probably over thinking it. All the log splitter pumps are designed to direct mount to an engine. So 180 deg from engine, so CCW output on engine is CW input to pump.

/ Log Splitter Pump Rotation #3  
Andy look for an engine with CCW second shaft used in garden tillers B/s and Kohler engine it would normally turn 1/2 speed. Also pillow block and short shaft belt-driven. size of pulley to adjust the speed needed.
ken

/ Log Splitter Pump Rotation #4  
Andy look for an engine with CCW second shaft used in garden tillers B/s and Kohler engine it would normally turn 1/2 speed. Also pillow block and short shaft belt-driven. size of pulley to adjust the speed needed.
ken

Too slow. You need the RPM's to get the cycle times on the splitter. SC has the mumps and mounts. Just replaced one a few years ago and used one of the SC pumps.

/ Log Splitter Pump Rotation #5  
You are probably over thinking it. All the log splitter pumps are designed to direct mount to an engine. So 180 deg from engine, so CCW output on engine is CW input to pump.

BINGO!

/ Log Splitter Pump Rotation
Thanks guys.
My brothers old pump blew up and he swapped it out with the CW rotation pump. He said it didn’t work because the rotation and I went along with it. I see exactly what you are saying Mike48130. :thumbsup:

This is the description of the pump off the Bailey Hydraulic web site.

Compact, two-stage, external gear pumps designed for use at elevated pressures. Ideal for press-type applications requiring fast approach/retract speeds and slower peak actuator work speeds due to horsepower limitations or safety constraints. Rotation is clockwise viewed from the shaft end. 1/2’’ shafts use 404 wood ruff key. 5/8’’ shafts use 3/16”. 3600 RPM max. Maximum pressure 3,045 PSI.