log splitter not working properly

/ log splitter not working properly #1  

crazy man

Tractor
bobcat 331 excavator
my log splitter worked fine except cylinder was leaking a little,and I hate leaks, so I took cylinder in and they built me a new one. all I did was remove the two lines and put two lines on new cylinder.when I tried it out and extended the ram it extended but shakey, I figured there was air in cylinder so I cycled it several times. It got a little better but slower than normal. When I put a log in, the wedge would hit log and stop for a few seconds and then shoot wedge violently into log. when I retract ram it takes a couple minutes to go into neutral. when I shut down engine and pull control lever to extend position you can hear and feel fluid rush from front port of cylinder to tank, not sure whats happening. any help would be appreciated

/ log splitter not working properly #2  
Did you check the reservoir for enough fluid after the cylinder was filled? Did you wait for the foam/bubbles to clear from the fluid?

/ log splitter not working properly #3  
Besides what rufdog mentioned...

I don't know what:
I cycled it several times

means in terms of cycles... but depending on the size of the cylinder it may take way more cycles than you think to get all the air out

/ log splitter not working properly
Did you check the reservoir for enough fluid after the cylinder was filled? Did you wait for the foam/bubbles to clear from the fluid?
cycled about 30 times over two or three days. Don't understand why there's pressure in cylinder after engine off

added fluid when installed but obviously not enough, added more and working better thanks much

/ log splitter not working properly #8  
Don't understand why there's pressure in cylinder after engine off
It sounds like you've got it fixed.
Just as a side note, fluids being non-compressable, would not 'store' any pressure after the engines been shut off. The only way there would be any motion or force from the cylinder is if there was compressed air trapped in the cylinder.

....the wedge would hit log and stop for a few seconds and then shoot wedge violently into log
Same reason for this, the air compresses and when it reaches enough pressure, it forces the ram to extend at speed.

/ log splitter not working properly #9  
cycled about 30 times over two or three days. Don't understand why there's pressure in cylinder after engine off

Compressed air..

It sounds like you've got it fixed.
Just as a side note, fluids being non-compressable, would not 'store' any pressure after the engines been shut off. The only way there would be any motion or force from the cylinder is if there was compressed air trapped in the cylinder.

Same reason for this, the air compresses and when it reaches enough pressure, it forces the ram to extend at speed.
makes sense, thats probable what happened. thanks for info!