Log Splitter Idle Control

/ Log Splitter Idle Control #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I bought a 27 ton Troy Bilt Log splitter from Lowes last year and it does a good job. One thing it does not have however is idle control. Its always running flat out. Anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to install idle control on the Honda engine? Had I spent a hundred bucks more (plus freight) I think the 27 ton units at Northern Hydraulics in fact have idle control but I wasn't paying attention.

/ Log Splitter Idle Control #2  
No idle control? I've never heard of such a thing, nor would I tolerate an engine running flat out.
Good luck figuring out how to get idle control.

My 8 hp B&S engine on my splitter has never been run at much more than idle and it was purchased in 1985. Has split a steady 15 full cords of firewood every year since as there are(were) 5 owners. The Briggs hasn't missed a lick ('cept when the mice chewed the coil wire to the plug).

/ Log Splitter Idle Control #4  
Went and looked at the instruction book for the Northern tool splitter and all they have is a plate that sits behind the wedge next to the ram with the control plunger. When the ram is fully retracted it shuts the idle down, as it is extended it releases the plunger and the engine goes to full throttle.
Should not be hard to set up a cable with a spring and plate to do that. One thing that you need to watch for though is some of the newer engines have carbuerators set at single or have limited throttle ranges to help comply with the clean air laws and may stumble under suddden acceleration.

David Kb7uns

/ Log Splitter Idle Control
I don't know of a Honda engine that does not have idle control. Look up under the carb and see if the linkage has come off the govern-er/throttle.

Also, some of the engines had remote throttle function. Page 52

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/images/manuals/GX120-200.pdf

Trust me-it burns a lot of gas too and worse yet, you can't idle it down after you have been working it hard so you are killing a hot engine that has been running at full throttle.

Went and looked at the instruction book for the Northern tool splitter and all they have is a plate that sits behind the wedge next to the ram with the control plunger. When the ram is fully retracted it shuts the idle down, as it is extended it releases the plunger and the engine goes to full throttle.
Should not be hard to set up a cable with a spring and plate to do that. One thing that you need to watch for though is some of the newer engines have carbuerators set at single or have limited throttle ranges to help comply with the clean air laws and may stumble under suddden acceleration.

David Kb7uns
thx Dave- maybe my best bet is to send an e-mail to Troy Built. This thing is also sold as a Cub Cadet and a couple of other names-

/ Log Splitter Idle Control #7  
I think my genorator runs at full throttle with a govenor type setup, i cant remember though, but again why would you want a genny not to be at full output. I say full throttle not wide open as you can reach in there and rev the thing up to unsafe levels of rpms!

I think my genorator runs at full throttle with a govenor type setup, i cant remember though, but again why would you want a genny not to be at full output. I say full throttle not wide open as you can reach in there and rev the thing up to unsafe levels of rpms!

I'm getting senile-thx for reminding me- my 5000 KW genertor-Honda powered-also does not have idle control-it runs flat out regardless of load-AND my Husqvarna 21" rotary mower pusher-also Honda powered- runs at one speed-flat out!

As for the generator- we had a **** of an ice storm two years ago and were without power for 7 days-let me tell you that little Honda at full throttle sure can burn gas!

I guess you guys who never heard of engines without idle control are still running yoiur old b & S's, Clintons, Tecumsehs etc.! Again- I'm not saying I like it- that is why I'm trying to do something about it. By the way- I did go online to Troy-Bilt and they have a hotline-got a message back I will have an answer within 3 business days.

/ Log Splitter Idle Control #9  
I don't know if this the new way of doing things or just a Honda thing, but my Honda powered push mower has no throttle and a couple of old Honda snowblowers I've worked on also had no throttle. Other than those, all the small engines I've had did have throttles.

/ Log Splitter Idle Control #10  
A solenoid is sometimes used in a circuit that senses current demand, and uses a solenoid to pull the throttle on until the current demand is gone, then it goes back to idle.

Auto Throttle senses load. When no power is required, this feature allows the generator to idle, saving fuel, and allows for quieter operation. When power is required, the generator will sense the load and provide full power as required.

Some engines also use an air vane to control the throttle.

As far as a log splitter, I would think you would want to run it at high rpm all the time.

On some generators, there is a manual/auto mode. If you are using the generator for lights and computers, etc, you want it in high rpm. If using drills or electric pump, the auto mode will cause the engine to idle until the drill or pump calls for more voltage/amps.