Locking fuel cap ?

/ Locking fuel cap ? #1  

dirtwhisperer

Anyone ever put a locking fuel cap on their tractor ?
I'm not so much worried about someone stealing fuel as I am them dumping water or something in it
When its parked off my property

/ Locking fuel cap ? #2  
I have locking caps on my tractors for all of the reasons you cited. The only place I was able to find them was at NAPA.

/ Locking fuel cap ? #3  
Anyone ever put a locking fuel cap on their tractor ?
I'm not so much worried about someone stealing fuel as I am them dumping water or something in it
When its parked off my property

I got a locking cap when I got my tractor. Kioti one. AND... it resulted in moisture in my fuel! I kept getting water in my fuel (it rains a lot around here). Same fuel source -on-site- that none of my other pieces of diesel equipment have had issues with: I did drains on everything and found no water, so it was Kioti specific issue. I had some other issue and I just kind of whined about the cheapness of the fuel cap. Dealer sent me a new fuel cap, but it was obviously improved over the original (key cut on both sides rather than the original's one side, which made it really a pain to use). And ever since I've had that new cap on I haven't had any more moisture issues!

On my NX there's a water sensor in the fuel filter. If someone dumped water in the tank I'd find out right away, and before any real problems came up: IF ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO ONE'S GAUGES! Of course, I'd be peeved about having to drain it out (not a big deal). It's the "something [else]" that I'd be more worried about: gasoline would be a bigger threat- and even here a locking cap ain't going to protect you: a neighbor said that one of his cousins was helping out at the farm and ended up putting gasoline in the tractor (older one, likely less sensitive than newer common rail stuff).

/ Locking fuel cap ? #4  
I bought one when I was doing a job and had to leave the tractor on a unoccupied property overnight. If anything ever happens fuel related, at least you can rule out tampering as well.

/ Locking fuel cap ? #5  
The problem is that fuel thieves ignore the lock and punches hole in the tank, so its better let them get the fuel without destroying the tank.

That's the problem here, the solution is to always run very low on fuel at the end of the day.

/ Locking fuel cap ? #6  
I guess it depends where you are operating. I guess in some places, they would steel the fuel and torch the machine. Why not?

/ Locking fuel cap ?
Again, I'm not worried about them stealing fuel, I just dont want , water, gas, ect easily dumped into my tank