Loader Locating "granny" gear

/ Locating "granny" gear #1  

Sofe

Tractor
John Deere 970
My name is Nikki and I am trying to find granny gear on the John Deere 970.
I look forward to the proper steps needed to follow to accomplish just that.
Thank you very much.

/ Locating "granny" gear #2  
There are 2 shift levers on the 970. The main shift lever gives you 4 forward gears and reverse. That lever is the one between your legs as you sit in the seat. The other shift lever is behind your right leg kind of under the front of the seat. That shifter has 3 positions. "H" for high range, "N" for neutral, and "L" for low range. I assume this is the shifter you are looking for. High range is with the lever in the upper position. Neutral is pushed down one position, and Low range "granny" gear is with the lever pushed all the way down. Sometimes the high and low range can be a little difficult to engage into gear. Try putting the main shift lever in 1st or reverse, put some pressure on the range lever toward High or Low, and then ease out on the clutch until the high or low gear drops in. Then you can clutch and place gear shift in desired gear. The H - N - L lever has to be shifted while tractor is sitting still. It can not be shifted "on the fly"

/ Locating "granny" gear #3  
I learned this back in 1975 when I first drove a tractor with hi lo. Granny gears are great, but don't use them to get through mud if you have any doubt about getting through- too slow and the tractor will crawl to a stop. Mud needs momentum and you need speed to get the momentum going.
I got stuck pulling the spreader. I figured I would put it in low and creep out. It just dug in. It was there for a while before we got it out.