Local Dealers

/ Local Dealers #1  

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
I was wondering, how many of you have that dream dealer? You know, the dealer that brings out different tractors for you to try out at no charge, so you can really see what one you want.:) You buy a tractor from them and they throw in the 1st service with pickup and delivery. Tires filled at no charge if you want, whenever a FEL is purchased. They have lots of implements for you to look at, not just brochures. If you do have a problem with your machine, they bring out a loaner and get yours repaired and returned promptly.

Or is your dealer the one that sold you your tractor and is done with you?:( Anything else costs extra. Then there are those of you that buy from a long distance because of varying reasons knowing that you will have no service.

So which one are you and why did you choose your dealer?

Brian

/ Local Dealers #2  
MtnViewRanch said:
I was wondering, how many of you have that dream dealer? You know, the dealer that brings out different tractors for you to try out at no charge, so you can really see what one you want.:) You buy a tractor from them and they throw in the 1st service with pickup and delivery. Tires filled at no charge if you want, whenever a FEL is purchased. They have lots of implements for you to look at, not just brochures. If you do have a problem with your machine, they bring out a loaner and get yours repaired and returned promptly.

and a question to go along with that... is anyone willing to pay what is costs to offer this level of service? or do you go to this dealer to make up your mind and then go buy somewhere else because they offer a lower price.

/ Local Dealers #3  
My local Kubota/Cub Cadet dealer is a "dream" dealer. I bought several Cubs and 1 Kubota from him, plus implements. This dealer has been a fixture in our town forever, not a large dealership, but a good family dealer that does reasonable volume with a good size, fully equipped shop with several service techs, 2 guys in parts, and a little old lady who recognizes my voice on the phone when I call.

My local New Holland/Branson dealer is a "dream" dealer. I bought a NH and some implements from him. He mostly sells large agricultural equipment, he has a large fully equipped shop, can fabricate repairs in house if necessary, and also has a full hydraulics shop. Been in their town forever with a great reputation.

Heck the dealer I bought my Ventrac from is located 2 states away in central Wisconsin, he brought the Ventrac and implements down for a no-obligation test drive. When I wanted another implment for the Ventrac he shipped it to me on common carrier.

What I know is that I want a good price, but that the cheapest price is not always the best deal. I want to buy from someone who not only is willing to take care of my needs, but is also CAPABLE of taking care of my needs. I won't buy from a dealer who can't provide me a high level of service when I need it. I have several other dealerships nearby I will not buy from.
  • One is a big 3 dealer, has a decent selection of CUTs out front, typically a dozen. Has a decent selection of implements. But he needs to send his sales staff to congeniality training, I've walked out of there because nobody would take the time to take my money.
  • Another is a minor brand dealer, and a lawnmower shop. He has had the same 5 tractors on his lot since March of this year. Sitting in the same place. No implements. Not a particularly friendly guy either.
  • Another is a minor brand dealer and a garden center. He sells flowers, trees, and decorations. Also has tractors, ZTRs, and lawnmowers. Not sure if he does service and repairs on tractors, but is willing to deliver mulch.
  • Another minor brand dealer is a lawnmower shop. A large one. Added a brand of tractors last year. Not sure what type of diesel repair facilities he has but he has a lot of experience in small gas engines.

/ Local Dealers #4  
I have a dream dealer near me. My idea of a dream dealer is...When I call with questions they take the time to answer them. Even when they have nothing to do with buying anything from them. I called about finding a good price for a backhoe that was for sale on E Bay. The service guy took the time to tell me what % off it took to be considered a good deal. Another dealer said "it isn't worth buying a backhoe off ebay because by the time you pay us to put it on, you might as well have bought a new one."
I don't need them to bring me tractors. I just want a place to ask questions. (I should mention that I bought my tractor off a private party and not from the dealer) I will always use this dealer first because of their "service" that they offer.
That is a dream dealer for me.

/ Local Dealers #5  
MessickFarmEqu said:
and a question to go along with that... is anyone willing to pay what is costs to offer this level of service? or do you go to this dealer to make up your mind and then go buy somewhere else because they offer a lower price.

No, I bought from him, I paid his price, no discount. He did fill the tires at no cost and deliver. No 50 hr service, $50 discount on the implement I bought (whoooopee), and they will answer the phone if I call. BUT, I walk in the dealership and they look at me like "What you want?". So much for service after the sale. Hope warranty issues go smoothly.

/ Local Dealers #6  
I can't even get good sales service.

Went to the JD dealer again today - nope the sales guy wasn't there and nobody else can help. Date was made on the phone yesterday. That makes six times and the last time. I don't care that he is only a couple of miles down the road. If there is no interest in selling - there for sure won't be interest in service.

Monday I'll go buy a Massey Ferguson and have it done with. At least they act like they want my business. Also, as little tractors are only a small part of their business - major portion is heavy construction stuff - they will probably still be there in a few years.

For service, all I need is a parts counter. Except, that is, for warranty issues.

/ Local Dealers #7  
MtnViewRanch said:
I was wondering, how many of you have that dream dealer? .....
....Then there are those of you that buy from a long distance because of varying reasons knowing that you will have no service.
I bought my tractor long distance for varying reasons, thinking that I can work on it myself and just use the dealer to get parts under warranty or general service parts. Then when I tried to do that...no dice...no service...SOL...
So yes, I have that dream dealer too...a dealer from ****! It took some "persuasive" methods to get him to send me missing stuff that should have been included with the purchase.

/ Local Dealers #8  
I don't think the dream dealer really exists.
When I decided what CUT I wanted, I went to the local dealer. The Sales Mangler was barely interested in answering my questions and I had to twist his arm to give me a quote. I realize that only 5 or 10% of the walk-ins actually buy, so there is some reluctance to invest a lot of time. But I expected at least a few attention units. I never went back. Bought from a distant dealer and paid the shipping.

Now I live in Maine. The local CC dealer actually sells snowmobiles and ATVs. He has a few lawn tractors and four CUTs in the front lot. He rarely has parts in stock and the ones he orders for me take twice as long to arrive as he says. Fortunately, I rarely need parts. The local Kubota dealer is not much better. When I wander around his large selection of tractors and implements, no one ever comes out to meet me. When I ask for an implement price, all I get is MSRP. So most of my implements have been shipped up from NC.

/ Local Dealers #9  
IMHO it's some where in between. Selling tractors is a business not entirely unlike other sales/service businesses. Both parties, buyer & seller/owner, must be satisfied with the transaction and subsequent service and sales for it to be a success. "Dream dealer"??? I guess it's one that will sell you the appropriate for your needs machine at a fair market price. Won't push you into buying something you don't need. Will be honest about the capabilities and reliability of the machine(s) your interested in. Will create a package "deal" for you of the machine of your choice and related toys, er implements and give good advise on the things you need or those you don't. Has an experienced service staff, with reasonable rates and is willing to back his product after the sale.

I think expecting a dealer to give you an extreme liquidation price on a machine, give you all sorts of freebies at sale and into the future, not charge for delivery while performing free service and generally giving you the shirt off his/her back to sell one unit is ridiculous. I think a fair price, honest answers and maybe an extra or two(whether it be a discount on an implement, no charge delivery, free 50 hour service, etc...) is reasonable to expect with the $$ being spent. The more you're willing to spend with a particular retailer the more freebies, extras, bling he/she can afford to offer. It is a business after all, if they aren't making a profit how long do you honestly expect them to be around to back up your investment. So unless you are completely, including all future parts needs, self-sufficient you are going to need service and/or support from your dealer at some future point.

I personally don't want to be hassled by an over-zealous commissioned sales person when just browsing a lot, but when it's time to talk turkey it's nice to have a knowledgeable, attentive sales guy/gal as well as talk to the owner if possible. I like dealing with family-owned or small, local businesses whenever possible. To me paying a few more $$ to deal with someone locally, who treats me well, who I'll likely run into many times and hopefully want to deal with again is priceless.

Just 2 cents from a recent tractor consumer. Good thread subject.

/ Local Dealers #10  
williekioti said:
IMHO it's some where in between. Selling tractors is a business not entirely unlike other sales/service businesses. Both parties, buyer & seller/owner, must be satisfied with the transaction and subsequent service and sales for it to be a success. "Dream dealer"??? I guess it's one that will sell you the appropriate for your needs machine at a fair market price. Won't push you into buying something you don't need. Will be honest about the capabilities and reliability of the machine(s) your interested in. Will create a package "deal" for you of the machine of your choice and related toys, er implements and give good advise on the things you need or those you don't. Has an experienced service staff, with reasonable rates and is willing to back his product after the sale.

I think expecting a dealer to give you an extreme liquidation price on a machine, give you all sorts of freebies at sale and into the future, not charge for delivery while performing free service and generally giving you the shirt off his/her back to sell one unit is ridiculous. I think a fair price, honest answers and maybe an extra or two(whether it be a discount on an implement, no charge delivery, free 50 hour service, etc...) is reasonable to expect with the $$ being spent. The more you're willing to spend with a particular retailer the more freebies, extras, bling he/she can afford to offer. It is a business after all, if they aren't making a profit how long do you honestly expect them to be around to back up your investment. So unless you are completely, including all future parts needs, self-sufficient you are going to need service and/or support from your dealer at some future point.

I personally don't want to be hassled by an over-zealous commissioned sales person when just browsing a lot, but when it's time to talk turkey it's nice to have a knowledgeable, attentive sales guy/gal as well as talk to the owner if possible. I like dealing with family-owned or small, local businesses whenever possible. To me paying a few more $$ to deal with someone locally, who treats me well, who I'll likely run into many times and hopefully want to deal with again is priceless.

Just 2 cents from a recent tractor consumer. Good thread subject.

Well said!