Loading hay = round bales

/ Loading hay = round bales
Try running doubles across the top instead of singles to improve efficiency.
Loading round bales is a skill in of itself. Takes a little time to get the hang of double stacking, but there’s things you can do to make it safe.

One is to lay some strips of 2” lumber along the outside edges of trailer deck to “lean” or “tip” the bales inward slightly. Then the upper layers won’t fall out ward in transit. I just learned over the years that RBs almost always have one side is wider than the other and stack the wide sides out on the bottom layer to achieve the proper “tilt” for the top layer.

Once you strap them down snug, you can use tractor to adjust them again.

View attachment 758730

When you unload, they won’t tumble off as long as you have just a little inward tilt. These bales were shipped to JC’s Cattle. Below-You can see him unloading one at a time with none of them tumbling off. I drove this load of 28 double stacked up top 40 miles with no issues.

View attachment 758733
I would love to borrow that trailer two days a year.
I did find a 24 ft. BB with 5000 lb axles for $5,000. Says it was only pulled one time. It does have a dove tail, but I am thinking I might get 8 on the bottom and 3 or 6 on the top. A lot better than 4 at a time.

Last edited: