Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Interested in hearing opinions on loading zero turn mowers on various style trailers.

Do you load forward or backward and why.

How do you load with ramps and how with a tilt bed.

I searched this particular forum and the whole TBN site and though I got hundreds of hits of all the threads I looked at my questions were not discussed. I know its got to be in here somewhere but after 15 minutes couldn't find it. Found a few videos on YT but I put more faith in the opinions I find here on TBN than anywhere else.

Reason I am asking is I am looking at getting a JD 737 and I have a tilt bed trailer
and also in the future possibly a enclosed 6.5 x 14 cargo trailer with ramp and curious
if the procedure for loading on each will be different.

These mowers seem like they are easy to flip backward when on an incline. I don't have
any hours under my belt running one but from the looks of them they seem light up front
and easy to upset.

So before I end up on YT as the star of one of your favorite 'how not to load a zero turn
mower' videos I thought I would ask.

TIA

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #2  
My car hauler has 'ladder' type ramps. Once, when loading the little Dixon 'forward' (4221, mechanical drive) a tiny front wheel dropped into a ramp's 'gap'. Drive's 'friction cones' had plenty of grip and when I lunged forward on the sticks (vs backing down for a do-over) it vaulted over on top of me. (senior moment :laughing:)

As steep as the ramps are/were I had no apparent loss of traction when backing up them and wow, what a difference. Still backing down as before to unload, and 'backing' on/off with the CC RZT 50 and larger Husky MZ 6128 ever since. YMMV

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #3  
I back the ZTR onto the trailer using aluminum ladder ramps.. If its by itself, I load so the engine is just past the front axle, otherwise it gets pulled all the way to the front to make room.

WP_20130614_001.jpg

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #4  
I saw a man who was very apt at loading his in his enclosed trailer. He had a back door the full height of his trailer - about 5' - that lowered to become his ramp. He drove the mower in front first, spun it around (it is zero turn) and drove it back out front first.

I have known a few other lawn people and they all load according to their trailer. Some back in some pull in, it seems to have more to do with the other equipment on their trailer than the concern for the tipping of the mower.

I will say, the man I mentioned in the beginning is the only one I have seen use that particular method.

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #5  
I pull mine on forward. It loses traction if I try to back on. I have a trailer with a hinged ramp. I have taken my ZTR up some pretty steep hills ( way steeper than trailer ramps).

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #6  
I drive on fwd and back up to get off. I use aluminum ladder ramps that are 7 feet long so the incline is minimal.

I did start ratchet strapping the ramps to the trailer. Once I had a tire spin the ramp off the trailer. It was a close one but no harm no foul.

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #7  
I recently bought a PJ tilt trailer. The 11 degree load angle makes loading and unloading a breeze for my ZTR mower and my BX tractors.

I bought this one:

PJ Trailers | Single Axle HD Tilt

CA_06151620124424-XL.jpg

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #8  
I have ramps on my trailer, usually pull on back off unless I need to load it different to fit other equipment then I'll back it on.

It seems to depend on the mower to an extent, I have a Hustler Z and it's one of the more stable z-turns I've been on. Some of the smaller units are a little scarier on inclines.

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer
Thanks all for your replies. Hasn't made my mind up one way or the other but as many of you said it doesn't seem to matter other than how you need to load the trailer for weight distribution or to fit other equipment onboard.

I didn't hear anyone say the 737 Ztrak is prone to tipping backward when driving on forward so I guess that makes me feel better. I did find the manual online before I started this thread and it made no mention either way about loading only to be sure to secure the mower to the trailer properly. By the manual specs the 737 w/60" deck tips the scales at ~1300# with a full fuel tank.

I guess I'll just try both ways carefully on each trailer and see how it feels. The pucker factor should tell me which way is best. :)

/ Loading a Zero Turn Mower on a trailer #10  
Although I very seldom use them anymore, I have a set of ramps that are slightly arched, so that the mower deck doesn't hit when breaking over the transition from ramp to trailer floor.
Bought them from JC Whitney probably almost 20 years ago. Aluminum and they fold up for easy storage. I'd load a zero turn with them onto a trailer if needed, but the angle up to a pickup truck tailgate would probably be a little dangerous with a Z turn. I have loaded garden tractors/riding mowers into pickups many times with them.
On a semi related note, when loading my Bobcat S185 into a dump trailer, I always back it on because the rear is counter weighted. Driving it off is no problem. Keep the bucket low and I'm all set.