Loading a B-series on a pick-up

/ Loading a B-series on a pick-up #11  
I have not done it myself. And most likely I would not attempt it. However...

I loaned my B7100 to a guy that was building his house and finishing up the landscaping. He had a big 'ol tractor but liked my little tractor better for the job. I delivered it on my trailer. On the day he was supposed to be through with it, I got my trailer all ready to go just as he pulled up in the driveway with my tractor (with attached scraper blade but no loader) loaded in the back of his 2500HD (3/4 ton) long-bed Chevy. I was afraid to ask how he got the tractor in there, but there was a small ditch at my house that we were able to use (along with the ramps from my trailer) to easily unload it.

The tractor did not hardly compress the rear springs and he commented that he didn't even notice any difference in the truck's driveability.

I don't think that a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck will have a problem with the load. The main problem would be loading, unloading and securing the tractor. You would probably want to back the tractor on the truck so that the loader is on the tailgate when lowered. Regardless of which direction that it was loaded, I would be very concerned about what might penetrate the cab of the truck (3-point lift arm?) in the event of a wreck. Of course that concern applies to any items in the back of a pickup.

/ Loading a B-series on a pick-up #12  
Now that would sure put a hurtin on any truck thats a heavy tractor!!! But then again it's built to work.
Gordon

/ Loading a B-series on a pick-up #13  
Glad you got your tractor home safely. I just wanted to relate an experience to y'all that I had while hauling what turned out to be too much stone in my 3/4 pick-up. I had about 1.5 tons in the bed and was driving home when it started to rain. I came down a hill, light turns red, apply brakes hard, passenger side rear wheel locks up, truck does a 180 degree turn, skid full of stone slams into tailgate and almost springs it, Darryl looks for a clean pair of undershorts. My point, just because you can get it on and roll down the road with it doesn't mean you can stop it.

Darryl

/ Loading a B-series on a pick-up #14  
DarrylG - Your point on being able to stop was very well made, and (I hope) very well taken by all. I laugh about that very same point (though in a different application) every time I see some bonehead in a 4wd SUV going double the speed of sensible folks in the snow. I say to myself "Ok, so your 4wd provided enough traction for you to build up all that speed. Now, have you thought about the fact that everybody has 4-wheel braking?" I had a three-axle trailer custom made with enough brakes to stop 54k pounds of weight even though I don't ever plan on having more than 20k, 25k tops, on it. If it takes a while to get up to speed, there's no harm done, but when I need to stop I want to be able to do it now.

Mark