Loaders and Steering Effort

/ Loaders and Steering Effort #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
We were just talking on another thread about the "resistance to steering" of a fellow's Yanmar YM186D compact tractor with a loader. Somewhat belatedly it occurred to me that most of us owners know how difficult it is to steer a small any compact tractors with a loader. It's normally very, very hard to do. But knowing that steering effort was normal might be a value to someone out there looking for a tractor. So this is a thread for the tricks we all use to get a little tractor with a full bucket aimed and moving in the right direction.

All tractors above a certain size automatically get power steering, but it looks to me a lot like our favorite small compacts were frankly never originally intended or designed for loader work. That they can do it at all is a compromise and a credit. I know it sure surprised me to find how hard it was to steer with a load in the bucket.

Our cherished old YM165D has the complete Yanmar OEM "factory loader with the factory light-weight bucket". And the entire tractor is good as new. In fact, we bought it all together brand new and so I know it works just like it is supposed to. Even better than new, since one of the changes under warranty was to replace the steering bell crank with one that Yanmar said would ease the difficult steering. Anyway, with the bucket mostly full of plain old dirt and the tractor sitting still I defy anyone to turn those front wheels. It can't be done. Even it it were possible, could the steering gear would survive many repititions? I doubt it.

With a that full bucket and moving forward it is just barely possible to affect small changes in direction by leaning on the steering wheel's spinner knob with one's full weight and full strength. Even so, it's more like steering a sled than a vehicle.

Most of the small steering adjustments are accomplished by leaning on the steering wheel while going over little bumps. Major changes in direction require pushing the bucket against the ground to unload the front end enough to turn the tires. Then raise the bucket and we're off in a new direction.....straining on the steering wheel all the while. It's a lot of work, but we've sure gotten a lot of work done that way. We've built a road, a pond, two foundations...on and on....and yes, we've often wished it had power steering.
rScotty

/ Loaders and Steering Effort #2  
We were just talking on another thread about the "resistance to steering" of a fellow's Yanmar YM186D compact tractor with a loader. Somewhat belatedly it occurred to me that most of us owners know how difficult it is to steer a small any compact tractors with a loader. It's normally very, very hard to do. But knowing that steering effort was normal might be a value to someone out there looking for a tractor. So this is a thread for the tricks we all use to get a little tractor with a full bucket aimed and moving in the right direction.

All tractors above a certain size automatically get power steering, but it looks to me a lot like our favorite small compacts were frankly never originally intended or designed for loader work. That they can do it at all is a compromise and a credit. I know it sure surprised me to find how hard it was to steer with a load in the bucket.

Our cherished old YM165D has the complete Yanmar OEM "factory loader with the factory light-weight bucket". And the entire tractor is good as new. In fact, we bought it all together brand new and so I know it works just like it is supposed to. Even better than new, since one of the changes under warranty was to replace the steering bell crank with one that Yanmar said would ease the difficult steering. Anyway, with the bucket mostly full of plain old dirt and the tractor sitting still I defy anyone to turn those front wheels. It can't be done. Even it it were possible, could the steering gear would survive many repititions? I doubt it.

With a that full bucket and moving forward it is just barely possible to affect small changes in direction by leaning on the steering wheel's spinner knob with one's full weight and full strength. Even so, it's more like steering a sled than a vehicle.

Most of the small steering adjustments are accomplished by leaning on the steering wheel while going over little bumps. Major changes in direction require pushing the bucket against the ground to unload the front end enough to turn the tires. Then raise the bucket and we're off in a new direction.....straining on the steering wheel all the while. It's a lot of work, but we've sure gotten a lot of work done that way. We've built a road, a pond, two foundations...on and on....and yes, we've often wished it had power steering.
rScotty

I know most of you are using 4wd with a loader and small tracotors like your 164D, but if in 2wd you could use the steering brakes and wheel to get a change in direction.

/ Loaders and Steering Effort #3  
I found that major counter weight on the 3 point makes all the difference in the world. It just goes against the grain for me to put the strain on the front end that a loader does without helping it with a counter weight. It also helps with traction on the rear wheels.

/ Loaders and Steering Effort
I know most of you are using 4wd with a loader and small tracotors like your 164D, but if in 2wd you could use the steering brakes and wheel to get a change in direction.

That's another thing. I never, ever run in 4wd with a load in the bucket. Doing so would put a differential strain on the front drive shaft. That's a good way to break something expensive.

I do use the wheel brakes to help the steering. It helps some, but mostly the back tire just skids. Small steering brakes on the front tires would help, but no tractor that I'm aware of has them.

There used to be an add-on universal power assist for tractors. It was a hydraulic motor that fit under the steering wheel and was popular with larger farm tractors with loaders. I believe it was made by Char-Lynn. Problem with it was that it put all the force through the OEM steering box and that box was designed for manual steering effort only.
rScotty