Loader zerks broken.

/ Loader zerks broken. #1  

Tig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota, B7100HST-D
I have a B7100 with a LA300 loader. I need to replace the zerks on the lower pivots of my loader bucket. One is broken off and the other is gone and the threads look poor. I am planning on taping the holes out to 1/4 inch for the new zerks. Since these they are located on the bottom of the pivot pointing straight down, I'm not surprised they get knocked off. Before I do replace them I'd like to know if anyone has tried relocating the zerks to a more protected position?
Thanks.

/ Loader zerks broken. #2  
I do not have your type of tractor, but mine has small pipe welded around the grease fittings to protect them. The pipe does get hit here and there, but I haven't had any broken fittings yet.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

/ Loader zerks broken. #3  
Get a zerk tool.. it has an extractor and a thread chase.. and wrench.I've used them plenty of times..

I agree with the other user.. relocation may not be the best option.. just get them some protection.. spot weld some pipe around them.. try not to deform the housing though.. just spot weld..

Soundguy

/ Loader zerks broken.
Good ideas. Thank you. I'm glad I asked. :)

/ Loader zerks broken. #5  
I bought one of those zerk repair tools at TSC. (kind of looks like a larger 4 -way valve stem tool). It came with no instructions. Any info on how to remove a broken zerk, and re thread the hole would help.
thanks! Jack

/ Loader zerks broken. #6  
This is ironic. I was greasing my loader yesterday and noticed that I had broken off one of those zerks. I finally discovered that what I had done was curl the bucket all the way back with the grapple wide open. . .(I could see the spot of orange paint on the grapple arm). Surprisingly, the other side came out unscathed. My dealer gave me a replacement. All I had to do to remove the broken one was use a vise-grip plier. Then I just put in the new one. I may have to look into a way to protect them though. I could see something similar happening in the future.

/ Loader zerks broken. #7  
capt jack said:
I bought one of those zerk repair tools at TSC. (kind of looks like a larger 4 -way valve stem tool). It came with no instructions. Any info on how to remove a broken zerk, and re thread the hole would help.
thanks! Jack

I hate to uh say it.. but it should be self evident if the tool is in your hand.

Zerks, if a screw in type will br right to tighten left to loosen. You may notice the flutes ont he extraction tool should tighten and bite into the zer hollow cavity as you turn left. thus unscrewing the base of the zerk.. then the chase side can be inserted with a dab of grease to clean the threads.. thent he wrench side uh.. is used to screw the new zerk in.

If this is a drive zerk.. ya got problems..

Soundguy

/ Loader zerks broken. #8  
If it's a drive in type I screw a sheet metal screw into it and use a claw hammer to pull it out.

/ Loader zerks broken. #9  
Nice idea!

Soundguy

/ Loader zerks broken. #10  
are the zerk threads the same for domestic and foreign tractors, or is there a metric vs SAE discrepancy? thanks