Loader Pins

/ Loader Pins #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
Are loader pins designed to wear out faster than the loader boom metal? Here's what I'm thinking. You use your loader a lot and even with good greasing the loader seems to loosen up some. Since loader pins are relatively small and easy to replace it would make sense if they handled more of the wear than the boom metal. Is this the case? If not, how do you tighten up a loader after years of use? What do the big tracked loaders do?

Peter

/ Loader Pins #2  
Good question. I've been wondering this myself. Thought I'd give it a bump.

/ Loader Pins #3  
Peter, I've heard of people building up the surface of the pins by welding, but I truly don't know how they do it or how they keep it perfectly round. I think the pin holes are hardened and become more hard over time because of work-hardening of the metal. As long as abrasive foreign material like sand doesn't wear the surface away (keep it greased well) the pins should show most of the wear. the pins are the easily replaceable part and should be made of slightly softer material than the loader bushing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Loader Pins #4  
The pins are replaceable. The bushing or sleeves that contain the pins can also be replaced, but not as easy.

/ Loader Pins #5  
The method Im familiar w/ a weld bead is layed down and then milled/turned to the desired thickness/dia. I *think* metal transfer by spraying doesnt necessarily require machining though.

/ Loader Pins #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( a weld bead is layed down and then milled/turned to the desired thickness/dia. )</font>

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I think that method certainly only applies if you can't get replacement pins or bushings.