Comparison Loader or compact tractor?

/ Loader or compact tractor? #1  

rroubaix

We're building a horse barn in Montana and need to be able to stack and carry 85 pound square bales of hay, do some snow plowing, and occasionally some backhoe work as well. We've been looking at 40 hp compact tractors, but I'd like to look at the Bobcat (S150?) as well. Could someone give us the pros and cons? I'm a recently retired doctor and know nothing about any of this!

Thanks very much!

/ Loader or compact tractor? #2  
The S150 is a skid steer loader and is an excellent machine with multiple uses. It is mostly used for excavating and construction purposes. In my opinion, a compact tractor is better suited for a farm or ranch and many implements are available (i.e. backhoe, snow blower, hay bail attachments, etc). If you have a large piece of property, (40+ acres) I'd personally go with a 50+ HP compact tractor. Compare specs and select the type of transmission that works for you (HST or gear). There and many different brands of implements too. Shop around. Good luck.

/ Loader or compact tractor? #4  
The only real advantage of the skid steer in what you describe, is if you want to use it inside of stalls to help with clean out. Even then, the S150 size maybe too large to maneuver. CUT would otherwise win in nearly all other situations. Attachments will also be much cheaper with a CUT.

A machine you really should look at is the Toolcat by Bobcat TC 5600 (dump bed) or TC 5610 (3 pt and rear pto). Why Toolcat? - Toolcat 5600 and 5610 Utility Work Machines - Bobcat Company
I have a S300 bobcat skid steer, JD 4520 cabbed CUT and TC 5610. For all around usefullness, the TC wins. A horse friend of mine is trading in his JD 3720 and JD gator for the TC 5600. I think he will be happy. Bobcat has big rebates on the TC or very low financing.