Loader guide bar

/ Loader guide bar #1  

DonRybak

Gold Member
Tractor
RK37HC
Yesterday when I was using the FEL on my RK37HC to transport bags of horse feed from my truck to the barn something shiny in the pasture caught my eye. It turned out to be the rod that runs through the guide on the right FEL cylinder. Evidently one of the nuts came off allowing the rod to fall off. Not a big deal because I'll just pick up a new nut and this time use some lock-tite on it. But, no where can I find any reference in the manual that mentions this rod other than in the parts break down. I'm not even sure what purpose it serves other than maybe it's a visual reference as to the bucket being level but that doesn't seem feasible since the accuracy would vary by the height of the bucket. So, my question is what exactly is the purpose of this rod and once I put it back on is there a proper way to adjust it? Thanks......DonR

/ Loader guide bar #2  
That is to tell you when the bucket is flat and level. Not sure how yours is made, but most have a bend, and when the bend is at the slot, that's when the bucket is flat

/ Loader guide bar
It's a screwy set up. These numbers are accurate but just for explanation. There's 1/2" tube about 20' long fixed to the arm structure of the loader. Then, there's the rod I'm talking about that's say 7/16" in diameter and 30" long that slides inside the tube as the bucket is moved to either fill or dump. There's about 5" of thread on one end of the rod that goes through a bracket. The rod would be adjustable by loosening the top and bottom jam nuts and sliding the rod up or down in the tube then locking it in position with the jam nuts. I didn't see any marking on the rod so the only visible thing thing to match with the bucket position would be the end of the rod verses the end of the tube. You could adjust the rod so that if the rod is protruding from the tube then the bucket is raised above level and if the end of the rod is not visible then the bucket would be lower in the dump position. But as I see it. it would only be accurate if the bucket is at the same height from the ground as when the rod was initally installed and set. Looking at it when I first got the tractor in July and trying to figure out it's purpose the rod and tube ends didn't match unless the bucket was rolled back in a fill position instead of level. So either that's not the purpose of it or it wasn't set correctly at the factory. Hope everybody has a super weekend.......Don

/ Loader guide bar #4  
From the Custom Search box at the top of the page: Search Results - TractorByNet

From an image search: tractor bucket level indicator - Google Search

li.jpg

/ Loader guide bar #5  
You are correct! It is to let you know whether or not the bucket is level (at ground level). Yours evidently was never tight from the factory and may have loosened even more from use, so was incorrect to begin with and eventually came off. The idea is that you don't need that when the bucket is up because you can see if it's level or not. But when it's down near the ground it's harder (if not impossible) to see if it's level, so the rod gives you the indication of it being level. The end of the rod should be even with the sleeve when the bucket is level with the ground at ground level. Great when approaching a pile of dirt/gravel, etc. I've gotten rather dependent on using mine and now do so almost without thinking. It's a little thing, but can be helpful.

/ Loader guide bar
Thanks to all that answered. It makes sense that it would be useful at ground level. I guess because mine wasn't adjusted from the assembly facility it made no sense that it even had a purpose. Going to get another jam nut today and remount/adjust it with the bucket sitting on the driveway. Thanks again.......Don

/ Loader guide bar #7  
Very sorry that the nut came loose; I’ve reported this instance to our assembly and service team. The BLI is a very simple and useful device. It is set by putting the bucket level on the ground and then adjusting the inner rod to the outer to the flush position. From the operator station, this creates visibility of the level position that is otherwise not possible. As the bucket is tilted in either direction, the inner rod will recess or protrude. It’s use is to let the operator know when the bucket is level in the lowered position as that is important when going into and picking up from a pile of material. The BLI is standard on RK Tractors 37HP and above. Anyone that has had significant experience in loader work finds them to be very useful.