Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Loader for moving snow

/ Loader for moving snow #11  
I've used the horse mat sandwiched in the back blade also. It works fine until the snow gets too wet, then I have to take it off because the mat will ride up over the wet packed snow.

I use the FEL when the snow gets too deep for the back blade, but I do most of my snow removal with the back blade. I should also mention that I have over 360' of gravel driveway, plus about an 85' x 24' concrete drive between the house and barn.

We had one storm dump 24" of snow last winter. If it wouldn't have been for the FEL, I would have had to wait for it to melt. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The best storage option for the horse mat that you don't cut up for the blade, is to store it in front of your workbench. It makes a great cushion for the concrete floor.

/ Loader for moving snow #12  
I use my loader in one specific area where drifting is always a problem. To combat the problem of a 6 cubic foot bucket, I fabricated a bucket extension that adds 18" to the bottom surface of the bucket. It's only good for light duty (snow or mulch), but four bolts and it's off. I also incorporated two skid surfaces on the bottom to keep the edge 1/2" off the surface. I've used it for three winters now and it almost triples the capacity of the bucket.

Attachments

• 764175-PA140012A.JPG
    764175-PA140012A.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 259
   / Loader for moving snow #13  
I live in the "snowbelt" of western New Hampshire. Storms in excess of 24" are fairly common. I have over 1/4 mile of road to clear and I've found that a FEL and rear blade work great. I just got a 96" wide blade with a high mould board (16" high). The high mould board will prevent the snow from topping it and spilling over. As for damaging the asphalt.....the last part of my drive is 450 feet of asphalt down to the town road. A pitch of about 6 degrees. The FEL has a cutting edge and I angle it slightly to "cut" (blade down, rear of bucket up). In 12 years I haven't done any damage. However, it the asphalt is cracked or uneven, it may be a problem. My asphalt surface is crack free.

/ Loader for moving snow #14  
I can relate to the comment about buying a snowblower and not needing it. Down here in Springfield area, we get drifting snow big time. I bought the snowblower after winter of 2000 which left our 1/4 mile drive drifted shut many mornings. Since I bought the snowblower, we havent had enough snow to use it on /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. You can slip a piece of slit 2" black plastic pipe, the width of your bucket over the edge and "protect" the asphalt.

/ Loader for moving snow #15  
I use the back blade and bucket for clearing snow but this year I'm going to try the box blade and bucket. Has anyone used the box scraper to move snow? I don't think it will have any advantage except being heavier and give the loader with a full bucket of slush more rear ballast.

/ Loader for moving snow #16  
We have a snowblower but it's not the best choice for a gravel drive and the loader itself can be very slow for snow removal. However there is an alternative and this year we are working toward adding a plow to our 17LA loader, fact is it's in the works now. Used plows can be had in most areas for a song and a dance requiring only minor modification. A plow should be a lot easier to use than looking over my shoulder to use the 3 point snowblower and a lot easier and quicker than changing all those broken shear bolts because of the gravel getting sucked into the blower.

Attached is a picture of another TBN members plow, the same as we are planning to add.

Attachments

• 764470-mark2 (Small).jpg
    764470-mark2 (Small).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 238