Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Loader for moving snow

/ Loader for moving snow #1  

CurtisB

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
I have a Kubota B7610 with loader. I am trying to determine my best bet for moving snow this winter. I live in the Chicagoland area and over the last 5 years we have only managed to get a couple snowstorms with accumulations of around 10-12".

For anybody that uses their loaders to move snow, how does it work? Any problems damaging the asphalt with the loader? Would you recommend spending the $1400 on a rear 3-pt snowblower in addition to the loader?

I don't really want to buy the snowblower because I know if I do it probably will not snow this winter at all. But, if I don't, I don't want to be stuck with no way out of my driveway either.

Keep in mind, my driveway is only 135' long with an incline to the road at the end.

Thanks.
Curtis

/ Loader for moving snow #2  
You don't have enough drive to justify a snowblower.

The loader works OK, but I'd spring for a 60" back blade. It's quicker then the loader and you can use it for grading, if you wish.

You can use a back blade in two ways:
1) Drive in reverse with the blade angled 30° and push the snow.
2) Rotate the blade 180° (actually about 150° so you still have the 30° angle) and drive forward. The convex side shouldn't damage the asphalt.

Since that B7610 has position control, I think; you can raise the blade ½"-¾" off the drive.

I wouldn't wait until you get 10" of snow, especially if it's a wet heavy snow. Pushing or pulling snow will tend to push the tractor sideways a bit. Compensating for that is part of the learning curve, and you'll learn quickly.

That's one man's opinion...

/ Loader for moving snow #3  
Hi CurtisB. This is a common topic every fall. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd advise trying the FEL this year and see how it works. I've been using a FEL to remove snow from 3 driveways and a parking area for 3 years without a problem. We get about as much snow as you do and the driveways are about as long. I angle the bucket so it's tilted either slightly down (on paved driveways) or level (gravel driveways), put it in float and drive forward. Once the bucket fills with snow, it just keeps pushing the snow forward. When I get to the end of the driveway, I dump the bucket, back up to where I started and repeat the process. Kind of like using a pusher snow shovel. I have weights on my rear tires and use 4wd. I also have chains, but have not needed them. I have yet to mark up a driveway.

EDIT: I also have a rear blade and haven't found the need to mount it for snow removal.

/ Loader for moving snow #4  
I use the loader and rear blade to clear my two gravel drives that are 350 and 300 foot long plus large parking areas for both. Also I clear our private road 1/2 mile long on the occasions our contracted plow guy doesn't make it in time.

It works but a plow blade in the front would be faster. I think you will get along just fine with your loader and adding a rear blade......

/ Loader for moving snow #5  
We get about as much snow as you do to. I don't think it justifies the snowblower either. I use a combo of the FEL and 60" blade as others have suggested. I've plowed the entire drive with just the FEL but for me it is more time consuming and makes a bigger mess. The angled back blade throws the snow to the side and makes less snow to clean at the end of the driveway. With snow deeper than 6" or so I have to leave the blade raised a little and take a smaller bite. If you angle the FEL down you can really scrape the drive clean. After the ground freezes good it will be very difficult to damage the driveway with the FEL or the back blade.

/ Loader for moving snow #6  
Curtis,

I am right there with you. West of Chicago, 150' Asphalt drive, John Deere 2210 with Loader. It worked pretty well for me last year. A rear blade would be a nice addition, you cannot get any kind angle on the loader to push the snow off to one side. The loader did scrape up the asphalt pretty good, but no damage. I bought a rubber horse mat (Farm and Fleet for $35) an I intend to build and edge for the loader to protect the ashpalt. A snowblower would be overkill in my opinion.

Thanks
Bruce

/ Loader for moving snow
Hi Bruce,

When you say right there with me, you are definitely right there with me. I see you live in Marengo, I actually live in Spring Grove so I am very close. I visit Farm & Fleet in Woodstock quite often. I may check into the idea of a rear blade then since everybody is suggesting one. I have a hard time justifying that one as well since I have a rear box blade but it would definitely be cheaper than the snowblower.

Thanks everybody for the replies thus far.

Curtis

/ Loader for moving snow #8  
I keep considering a snowblower for the simple fact that you have no piles of snow when your done.

I currently use my FEL. I have used a rear blade also in the past but I found that it got in the way more than helped me. The banks get too big, too fast and I need to lift the snow up over the edge anyway. Without the rear blade hanging off the back I find the tractor more manueverable in the driveway.

My rear blade mostly just sits out back now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ Loader for moving snow #9  
I used my FEL on my 350' driveway all last winter. It's kind of a nuisance when the snow is deeper and quickly fills the bucket, to have to turn to the side and dump it. My driveway last winter was old and very hard. The FEL did not damage it.

Had the driveway resurfaced this spring. It's hardened up some, but I'm still worried about damaging it with the FEL. So, I've bought a 5' back blade that I plan to sandwich a piece of "horse mat" from TSC between the blade removable edge and the main part of the blade to use as a "squeegee" on the driveway. Do a search for "horse mat", and you'll find a thread, with pictures, on it, how to cut it, etc.

May also buy a 50" piece of automotive heater hose and attach it, after slitting it, to the leading edge on my FEL. I've a level indicator on the FEL; so, sitting it down curled up slightly would keep it from digging in, too. The FEL is very handy for getting around near the garage doors where it's difficult to get with a snow plow. Had a snow plow on my Gravely that I used for 4 years before getting the JD last fall. One winter, we had 7" of sleet that the plow wouldn't touch. Had to mount the old snow blower on the Gravely to do that one. My JD FEL would have done it, too, possibly with some down force to get to the pavement. Have sold the Gravely and its plows now.

Ralph

/ Loader for moving snow #10  
I have used the combo of loader and box blade (on my 2210) for the last 2 winters--works OK. My gravel drive is pretty short, so the loader bucket doesn't get too full. When the snow is over 3-4 inches, I usually put the loader about 1-2 inches above the ground, and let the box blade float on the back to then pick up that 1-2 inches. I use the BB mostly for counterweight, but find that it works well for picking up that last "little bit". I don't mind the extra pass or two that I have to make this way (without a rear blade)--it's just extra seat time--even it is cold /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif