LK3054 Power steering disassembly

/ LK3054 Power steering disassembly #1  

Crazed98Camaro

Tractor
Kubota B7200D / Kioti LK3054
1997 LK3054 had issues turning left, namely binding and eventual inability to turn left. It was also leaking hydraulic fluid from the steering column, and I could see that the sector shaft was not fully inserted into the column. I decided to try take the steering column apart to see if I could diagnose the issues.

I am having trouble getting the ball nut assembly out of the column case. I did finally get the bottom cap off (and found numerous ball bearings, some already ground in half which I assume attributed to my steering binding). I was hoping the shaft would come out the bottom, but it seems I still need to get the peened nut off the top of the shaft, which was also giving me some issues.

Just looking to confirm the peened nut has to come off the top of the shaft before I do any more damage, as well as any tips or tricks someone might have who has been here before.

qqHMyxO.jpg

0j8gn2T.jpg

Last edited:
   / LK3054 Power steering disassembly #2  
Having never been in there and mine is hydraulic power steering I'm not sure how much help I can be. Having said that, I do have a workshop manual that shows your steering box. It appears the ball nut assembly is removed from the bottom. The manual states, "1.Draw out the ball nut assembly from gearbox. NOTE When drawing out the ball nut assembly, take care not to damage the seal on the ball nut and the ball nut circuit face. Never disassemble the ball nut assembly." The manual is silent as to how to "draw out the assembly" Looking more closely, the step before attempting to withdraw the assembly is to remove the front cover; 1. Remove the circlip 2. Remove the front cover, which is apparently shown in your bottom photo

Last edited:
   / LK3054 Power steering disassembly
Thanks Patches. I'll keep trying to remove it from the bottom based off your workshop manual, and let you know if I have any luck.

Well, I made some progress and got the ball carrier out of the bottom, and the worm shaft out the top. I still believe I would need to remove the peened nut in order to get the valve assembly free, but I am wondering if it is worth it.

Unfortunately, it appears the ball carrier is cracked, most likely from one of the many ground ball bearings getting wedged and cracking the sidewall. I am weary of putting a broken ball carrier back in the steering assembly and being back to the same situation in due time, so I am most likely going to replace the ball nut assembly, to the tune of $700 from Messicks. My sector shaft was also previously broken and welded at one point, so I am going to get a new one as well, looking like $400 for that. Add in the seals, gaskets and bearings and its looking like a $1500 bill.

VwUiZmO.jpg

2KMcZEH.jpg

7VN23ux.jpg

RfHAJIK.jpg

Last edited:
   / LK3054 Power steering disassembly #5  
That may be the prudent way to go. The steering box section of the manual is a full 10 pages long with clearance checks for the ball nut to gear box cylinder I.D. requiring out side mics as well as a cylinder gauge. The tolerances are very tight {0.00118 to 0.00311} with axial play of {0 to 0.00079} of the ball nut assembly.

That may be the prudent way to go. The steering box section of the manual is a full 10 pages long with clearance checks for the ball nut to gear box cylinder I.D. requiring out side mics as well as a cylinder gauge. The tolerances are very tight {0.00118 to 0.00311} with axial play of {0 to 0.00079} of the ball nut assembly.

Hey Patches, I received the new ball nut assembly and sector shaft, along with all the other bearings, seals and gaskets I ordered.
I have been looking for a reference towards assembling everything. I was planning on just assembling it the way I took it apart but I just don't want to waste $1500 in case the way it previously was, was incorrect. Would you happen to be able to share those pages about the assembly of the steering box? Thanks!

/ LK3054 Power steering disassembly #7  
I'll see what I can do

/ LK3054 Power steering disassembly #8  
I’ll look also. I have shop manual lk3054XS

/ LK3054 Power steering disassembly #9  
I hope you can help; I'm a dinosaur with less than limited computer skills and am unable to get the {old} equipment to function on this project. Unfortunately, the assembly instruction are mingled with the disassembly instructions necessitating scanning 10 pages, and you know how comprehensive these Kioti manuals are

Thanks Joe and Patches.

I was actually able to find a WSM of a Kubota model that shares what appears to be the same power steering system. I have attached the three relevant pages to the steering system to this post. I guess it's not as detailed at the 10 pages from Kioti, but it helped me in a pinch.

Since everyone on the forum has been so helpful, I am taking some pictures and going to document my reassembly in hopes it can help the next person.

Attachments

• Kubota_L185_steering.pdf
    812.6 KB · Views: 153