livestock self-waterers

/ livestock self-waterers
Mike,
On the front of the stall where the panel to get into the stall is the bucket is hung with clips. I route the cord under the stall and to the post in front of the stall. I use extension cords outside to go into the outlet so that I don't have to trip over them. We're leaving for the NFR in Vegas tomorrow but I'll try and remember to get you some pics when we get back. Email me and remind me if I forget to do it.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ livestock self-waterers #12  
Thanks, doc! Have a great, and safe, time at NFR.

sig3.gif

Thanks Mike we sure hope to. My oldest, 6, is a rodeo nut and quite a competitor herself. The only reason we got satellite tv was to watch the rodeos. It should be a fun time for us.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ livestock self-waterers #14  
Rich ... I have two 12x12 stalls in my small barn for our 2 horses. The barn is about 120 feet from the house, but long before I got there, someone ran some copper piping from the house basement down into the barn. The house sits about 10 feet higher in elevation than the barn and the pipe enters the barn from the floor under a concrete slab.

He had 2 auto waters installed in each of the stalls. They were about $65 apiece and so far so good.

We are concerned about freezes too. I've had about 6 days since October where the merc dropped below 30F but so far, no breakage. We've wrapped the pipes with that gray foam. The horses keep the water moving through the piping through daily use. As I'm sure YOU know, the horses make good heaters themselves.

We are too concerned with fire to consider wrapping the pipes or putting any fuel-based or wood heating in the barn.

Hay burns fast.
170 year old wood burns fast too.
Manure ... that burns on its own! :)

The waters so far are great. I'll give you a brand name if you want. Let me know.

PS: your webpage URL in your TBN profile is missing an L at the end of ...htm ... should be:

http://www.geocities.com/cowboydoc99/4LRanch-homepage.html
Doug

Hi Doug,
Sounds like you have a good setup. What kind do you have? I don't have my horses in stalls enough to have automatic waterers in there. I just have them outside. Thanks for the heads up on the webpage.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ livestock self-waterers #16  
Our horse spend most of their time in the paddocks as well. Basically .. during warm months, we keep them in during the hot hours to relieve them from the insects, and turn them out in the evening overnight til it starts to warm up. The barn stays pretty cool during these weeks.

We do the opposite in the winter. They love rolling in the snow during the day, but if we have persistent rains (NOT LATELY), we keep them in to stay dry and avoid those 'kidney winds'. They're both well mannered inside and out, with no cribbing habits, etc.

As for the waterers, if ya want the product name, I can get it for ya... but it doesn't sound like you'd use em in the stables.

Doug

/ livestock self-waterers #17  
try nelsonmfg.com works well for us in MI

Paul

Yes they are a good waterer but again you need electricity for them. I was looking to go the non-electric route.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF