live pto

/ live pto #1  

Anonymous Poster

Do any Grey market tractors have live pto's. I'd like one in the 22-28hp range.

/ live pto #2  
I'll tell you up front that I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll give you my best guess: I don't believe that there are any grey market tractors that have live PTOs. Here is the basis that I used for coming up with that answer.

It is my understanding that (1) most (all?) grey market tractors are gear-drive compacts, (2) there are no compact GEAR DRIVE tractors in the 22-28 hp range that have LIVE PTO whether grey or not and (3) I don't know of any grey tractors that are hydrostatic (which effectively gives a live PTO).

Hope this helps,
Kelvin

/ live pto #3  
"live PTO" is a term that has varying meanings to different people. Some take it to be an independent pto, some a two stage clutch, etc.

I don't know of a true live pto on greys, but Yanmar has a powershift transmission that is a geared transmission that can be shifted between three forward gears, neutral, and reverse without clutching the tractor, thus leaving the pto running while engaged. The clutch disengages the transmission and the pto and is not a two stage.

There are live pto on geared made-for-America compacts via a two stage clutch.

/ live pto #4  
Kelvin:

<font color=blue>there are no compact GEAR DRIVE tractors in the 22-28 hp range that have LIVE PTO whether grey or not</font color=blue>

I have a 26 horse Cub Cadet gear drive that has a live PTO. That is; it has a two stage clutch that enables me to use a PTO powered 3 point implement while using the clutch to change gears and the PTO never loses power. I believe that fits the definition of a live PTO, and I've seen several grey market tractors that have the same setup.

Corm

/ live pto #5  
I'm glad that I qualified my answer as a "best guess". I know nothing about Cub Cadets now I can say that I have learned something about them.

It still sounds like he will have a hard time finding a compact grey tractor with live PTO, no matter how you define the live PTO.

Thanks for the update,
Kelvin

/ live pto
Will an over run PTO shaft clutch solve your problem? Why do you need live PTO?

/ live pto #7  
Kelvin,
I am not sure if this will answer you question or not, but Yanmar has some models with a power shift trans. This allows the operator to stop the motion of the tractor, either forward or reverse and still have power to the PTO. Essentially, the tractors have two transmissions. The first is a standard transmission that requires the clutch to be depressed, which stops the PTO. The second is the power shift, which does not require the clutch to be depressed. This allows the user to maintain PTO speed while shifting between F1, 2,3,N, and R.
I find this very useful while mowing. I can drive forward, stop and reverse into tight areas, without losing the power to the mower.
These Grey Yanmar models can be identified with their model number. Any model that ends with a XX10, XX20 or FX is a power shift.
I hope that this helps,
Cameron

/ live pto #8  
I've learned a bit from this thread.

I know that there are various definitions of live PTO. To me, the useful application of a live PTO is being able to change forward speeds, stop the tractor and reverse the tractor all the while not affecting the PTO operation. Any PTO drive arrangement that allows that is close enough to be called "Live PTO" to me. So it does sound like there are Grey Tractors with Live PTO.

Thanks for the info.

Kelvin

/ live pto
That is the problem with the term "Live PTO". I've had guys that have only owned Ford 9N's that when they say "Live PTO" mean that the hydraulics work while sitting still. Which I'd consider more of a "Live Hydraulics" sitch.