Live Edge Pine from a Sawmill question

/ Live Edge Pine from a Sawmill question #41  
I've looked for used mills and found quite a few for sale, but the cost of them is so much more then what I can pay somebody to come here and get it all done in one day. I don't think that I'm cheap, but I just can't justify spending a couple of grand for a used machine to do the job that I can hire somebody with a much better machine and years of experience.

My personal debate is if it's worth the time to spend a couple hundred dollars for a chainsaw mill, and cut them myself, on my schedule, or hire it out? In my opinion, I think that the look of the chainsaw on the slabs will add character to them. But that's all in my imagination, and that's proven to be wrong before.
Chainsaw mill, with a ripping chain is still a big pain. it takes forever and your loosing a lot of wood due to the kerf. get someone with a band mill they can have it done in a day.....

/ Live Edge Pine from a Sawmill question #42  
I hired a bandsaw mill for some cabinet lumber. It was well worth the money. I would get a lot of help lined up, especially considering the size slabs you will be handling. Even using a tractor with forks will require you to slide the slabs around and they will be heavy.

I would cut them at least 6" over 16'. You may lose material on the ends due to splitting when drying. Given standard framing spacing, you don't want to have a board just slightly short.

You may need to find someone with some expertise in drying. At 2" thick you want them to dry flat. You will have a devil of a time trying to pull bow, wind, and crooks out when installing.

Sounds like a great project.

Doug in SW IA

/ Live Edge Pine from a Sawmill question #43  
I've been watching some Youtube videos on Alaska Mills and might give that a try. Seems like the hardest part is the first cut. I'm don't want to make lumber, I just want slabs for the wall.

I haven't put any thought into how I will finish the boards. I want a smooth, easy to clean finish. But an oil finish would be faster and easier.
One advantage to using a BSM over an Alaskan or other CSM is the easier ability to have your slabs cut rough sawn or quarter sawn. Advantage being since the way the grain lays in these cuts there is very little movement and typically No twist or cupping possible. The down side is only one edge would be "live edge" and the extra labor required. You could however, joint that side and glue it together with another jointed piece to make two live edges (since green you must use PVA - gorilla wood - glue instead of regular wood glue)