Little fire at my in-laws

/ Little fire at my in-laws #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I got a call from my father in law Friday evening. Come quick I got a fire! Turns out the neighbor had started a brush pile and it got out.

The fire department was already there when I got there. There was a ribbon line about 1/4 mile most of it in the woods. I got the disc on his Allis 170 and immediately caught it on fire while discing the line that was in the field... Luckily i was able to drive it to a fire truck and they got it put out with no damage.

Once the field was out i started helping in the woods. One of the fire departments had a pickup truck with about a 500 gal tank and at least 200' of hose. They traded the hose through the trees and sprayed as far as they could. When they walked out to reset the hose i raked the line back until they came back with more water.

The forestry service came with a couple dozers and made a quick fire break through the woods. It was impressive. The truck they hauled it with was also impressive.

Still some smoldering but the danger is over now.

20231020_172911.jpg20231020_180249.jpg20231020_180408.jpg20231020_181658.jpg

Attachments

• 20231020_190207.jpg
    20231020_190207.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
   / Little fire at my in-laws #2  
Glad y’all were able to get it contained. Is the first picture a back burn intentionally set or is it from the fire? It looks to be burning into the wind.

/ Little fire at my in-laws #3  
Dang... Glad they got it out quick. You must live in a high fire danger area for the forestry service to come out.
I had a forestry guy show up on a small woods fire that was getting out of control and into the canopy... He was awesome, and a one man wrecking crew with a chainsaw. I assigned one of our guys to him, and asked that he do whatever was necessary.

/ Little fire at my in-laws #4  
Glad you got it sorted before to much damage. It's getting to be that time of year where leaves and dead grass can quickly go up.

/ Little fire at my in-laws
Glad y’all were able to get it contained. Is the first picture a back burn intentionally set or is it from the fire? It looks to be burning into the wind.
That was the actual fire. It was lucky the wind was working against it.

/ Little fire at my in-laws #6  
It has been dry, I could see how that could happen. Glad you got it contained. I have a couple fires to burn but I won't even think about it until we get a rain or 2.

/ Little fire at my in-laws #7  
In Western Illinois it’s been dry and yesterday was very windy and they had warnings out about the fire danger. It easy for it to get out of hand.

/ Little fire at my in-laws #8  
Wow! I'm glad it turned out ok, and it sounds like you were all on top of it.

Nice photos. For some reason, I haven't ever stopped to take photos when we have had small fires around here, as usually it is just me working until the Calvary arrives. I tend not to have a cellphone on me when I'm out as there is no reception here.

All the best,

Peter

/ Little fire at my in-laws #9  
Positive side that fire in the woods will be good for the wildlife.
I'm still kicking myself a little for not buying one of those trucks at an auction one time. It was a Mississippi forestry commission truck pre emissions and low miles / hours. I flinched because it didn't have air conditioning and quit bidding, regardless it went for a great price.

/ Little fire at my in-laws #10  
It's been dry in middle TN for maybe 4-6 weeks. Had one hard rain the other night, and the creek bed is still dry. If it's as dry there as here, I can't imagine starting any brush pile fires right now.