Lipoma removal?

/ Lipoma removal? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I'm having a shoulder lipoma removed in a couple of weeks. Over the years I've had lots of bicycle, motorcycle, car and other injuries I think it's from one of those. I've had it for thirty years I'm sure, about size of a baseball. Since Medicare covers it and it bothers me some, I have to sleep on one side, I'll have a surgeon remove it in hospital. All done in one day.
I've had it x-rayed, MRI, he thinks it's no big deal except he has to open up the deltoid muscle.
Dr. says 2 weeks rest, no lifting (wife says good luck with that ).
Anyone have a lipoma?
Thanks. 20191122_182252.jpg

/ Lipoma removal? #2  
I have had a Lipoma on the inside of my thigh for about fifteen years. One of those over-forty years medical aberrations that occur with age. Much more common in women than men.

It seems to me that removal would be easier with Liposuction at a plastic surgery facility rather than surgery in a hospital, but I have no medical background.

Last edited:
   / Lipoma removal? #3  
I have had a Lipoma on the inside of my thigh for about fifteen years. One of those over forty medical aberrations that occur with age. Much more common in women than men.

It seems to me that removal would be easier with Liposuction at a plastic surgery facility rather than surgery in a hospital, but I have no medical background.

Are those things likely to turn malignant?

/ Lipoma removal? #4  
Had a small one removed from my arm, was done at a surgery center. No problem whatsoever, but it was quite small. They are rarely malignant.

/ Lipoma removal? #6  
I have quite a few; have had them a long time. In my back, stomach, arms. Most are small, and are not a problem. A few are beginning to show, like in my lower arms, where the skin has thinned as I've grown older. Started in my back after an injury.

/ Lipoma removal? #8  
I had a rather large one removed from my abdomen, accordind to doctor, not likely to turn cancerous. Some confuse it with lyphoma; whole different thing.

/ Lipoma removal? #9  
A lipoma is just a fatty mass. No big deal unless they are located where they get in the way of everyday life for either cosmetic or physical irritation reasons. I've removed several of them while in the service. To prevent recurrence the entire encapsulated mass is removed. Removing just the contents leaves the sheath which will fill back up with fat in short order. That's likely why the surgeon is going to bisect your deltoid to get all of it.

Depending on how much the deltoid is involved, after the mandatory rest period you might want to visit a physical therapist to get some pointers on stretches and range of motion exercises. Scar tissue isn't as elastic as healthy tissue, and that's a joint you use everyday. Best not to lose any mobility.

Pete

/ Lipoma removal?
Thanks. That was my concern. I don't have any lack of strength now as it is. Dr said the deltoid is like a curtain, he will have to open it to remove lipoma. Not cut, spread it open. All the work I do I'm thinking I'll be ok.