link ends: fixed vs. flexible ones

/ link ends: fixed vs. flexible ones #1  

froggy

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4320 with TNT, electric diverter, cruise control and air suspension seat.
How much trouble are fixed link ends vs. flexible ones?
Would you buy a tractor that didn't have flexible end links? What are the pro's and con's of each regarding tractor implement use?

/ link ends: fixed vs. flexible ones #2  
For a CUT or utility size tractor I'm not aware of any "cons" to the adjustable or telescoping 3ph links. There may be if going to a larger tractor.
There are many "pros" and they are obvious every time you hook up an implement. If I had a tractor without it I would be looking at some sort of aftermarket product.

/ link ends: fixed vs. flexible ones #3  
Adjustable link ends are a great thing! Absent adjustable/extendable lower links, the next best compramise I found is the PAT's Easy Change system which converts the ball ends to hooks. Pat's cost $199. If you can order adjustable lower links, you are probably better off.

If you search around the forums you will find a lot of questions about quick hitches and things like that, simply because people have such a hard time connecting up implements. Lots of bruised and bloody knuckles, lots of hitting lower arms or implements with mallets and hammers, etc.

Personally, if I got a good deal, I would buy a tractor that didn't have adjustable lower links, but then I would add them, or add a set of Pat's Easy Change hooks. I am a convert who has seen the light and I have no plans on going back.

/ link ends: fixed vs. flexible ones #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Would you buy a tractor that didn't have flexible end links? )</font>

I did (a Branson), and I have no regrets. I built dollies for my implements, which makes hookup a snap.

I'm sure some folks will say that if I had telescoping arms on the 3 pt, I wouldn't need the dollies. That may be true, but they also great for moving the implements around when they aren't on the tractor, and I suspect that fixed length hookup with a dolly is easier than telescoping hookup without.. You do need a hard, smooth surface for them, though.

SnowRidge

/ link ends: fixed vs. flexible ones
Bob, Glenn & SnowRidge,

Thanks for inputs. The new tractors I'm considering (DX55, TC55, L5030 & M4900) all are available with flexible end links. Had run across the Case JX Ag. series and some had flexible and some fixed. Other than maybe cost, was wondering why some manufacturers still made fixed link ends.

Doyle