Lincoln - ARC welder price?

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I am looking for a Lincoln AC ARC welder. All of the Craigslist ads are really high priced. What gives?

Why is a 15 yr old welder worth $200 when they are $289 new at Northern Tool.

People are thinking I'm being ridiculous about wanting to pay $100 - $125 for a bare bones unit.

Now if it comes with rod, accessories then I willing to pay more.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #2  
Old rod may not be a good sweetener for a deal. Once a can or box is unsealed the flux starts absorbing moisture. Rod should be stored in a sealed containers in a warm dry environment. If the rod was laying around open in a garage or barn I wouldn't want it.

Accesories like leads, a nice helmet, chipping hammer, files, clamps, or leathers could be nice incentives.

The Licolns do seem to be holding their value pretty well against all the newer cheap units. I have been keeping an eye out for a nice 180-200 amp DC stick welder myself.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price?
Agreed on the rod...the other accessories is what I am looking at.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #5  
Look at this ad...

lincoln 225 ark welder

$400 for a used unit...$289 for the same unit new. Crazy!

You are right, but those seem to stay up for sale for a very, very long time. The people selling it probably have no clue of the real value or are just ignorant. Just keep an eye out and you will find something. If you have the time there will be deals.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #6  
I got a tombstone, with about $100 in extras, for $150, so good deals are out there.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #7  
Old rod may not be a good sweetener for a deal. Once a can or box is unsealed the flux starts absorbing moisture. Rod should be stored in a sealed containers in a warm dry environment. If the rod was laying around open in a garage or barn I wouldn't want it.
You must be talking 7018. On the average I get 55-inches of rain a year, and my shop is not heated. Every once in a while I have to soak my 6010 in a bucket of water, because it will finger nail, or burn off to one side.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price?
I can't wait too long...There aren't many deals in Canada for these welders. Few and far between. We are heading down to Oklahoma - New Mexico - Colorado - South Dakota - home for Christmas. Kinda a big loop around visiting places and friends. Hoping to find a good deal on a Lincoln welder along the way. I can live w/o the accessories.

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #9  
I can't wait too long...There aren't many deals in Canada for these welders. Few and far between. We are heading down to Oklahoma - New Mexico - Colorado - South Dakota - home for Christmas. Kinda a big loop around visiting places and friends. Hoping to find a good deal on a Lincoln welder along the way. I can live w/o the accessories.
Stop by here and take a nice AC225 with you on a rolling dolly, and with a helmet and extra long leads (25 foot) $175. come and get it.

James K0UA

/ Lincoln - ARC welder price? #10  
You must be talking 7018. On the average I get 55-inches of rain a year, and my shop is not heated. Every once in a while I have to soak my 6010 in a bucket of water, because it will finger nail, or burn off to one side.

Yes, 7018 and 5p+ primarily. I store rod on a shelf in a utility room inside the house and don't have any trouble. The 7018 definitely needs to be dry. Even after spending a decade pipefitting I have never seen anyone soaking 6010. That is a new one for me. If rod is not arcing right I go for new, of course I'm not using 50 lb. boxes anymore either.

My apologies to the OP for side tracking into an electrode storage discussion. There are several of the AC225 Lincolns advertised in my vicinity for $150-$200. Most of them still look new.