Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I'm moving down from a monster diesel pusher motor home to a shorter, less powerful gas unit. I towed my Jeep wrangler behind it once but found I would like something lighter to tow. The wrangler is 3,500lb +/-.

A chevrolet Spark is about 2,200 lbs and manual shift models can be flat towed. It's also a very small car, of course. The Honda Fit looks interesting, I think it is about 2,700lbs.

Any others I should consider? I can't do a Smart car as we have a dog-- so I need a back seat, maybe a hatchback. A Kia Soul gets close to 3,000lb. Someone suggested a Fiat 500 Abarth but I don't know anything about those.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #2  
I wonder if 700 lbs less will really make a meaningful real world difference and how much cash you would need to shell out to make it happen.

Depending on your uses for it and the climate you plan to use it in, you may get away with a golf cart on a light trailer like a 300lb HF 4x8 special. There's even hitch carriers for those but probably not appropriate for a smaller gas RV: 1200LB Golf Cart UTV Carrier

Last edited:
   / Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #3  
I've used a Ford C-Max for many miles. Unfortunately, they are no longer made.

I would go with the Honda Fit over the Chevy Spark for pure reliability in the long run.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV
I would go with the Honda Fit over the Chevy Spark
The Fit has an interesting advantage with the "magic seats." You can apparently fold ALL seats down including the front seats. That would allow transporting large items like a dog pen, etc.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #5  
We bought our daughter a 2006 Fit as a college graduation present. I'm 6'2 and used to weigh 260. I took it on temporary duty to Ft. Drum, NY for 2 weeks in the middle of the winter from Washingtoon, DC. Lot's of snow. Loved it. Lot's of storage room, drove well, great mileage. I was comfortable in it for both long and short drives. She still has it and won't give it up.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #6  
What kind of RV are you moving to? I tow my wranglers behind my class c gasser all the time. Hardly know they are back there.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV
It's a Newmar Baystar. Ford 7.3 "Godzilla" engine, I think 430hp.

I'm a little more concerned about braking than pulling hills. I have 6,000 - 8,000 mountain passes in every direction I go, sometimes 3 of those or more.

Last year I came through Monitor Pass, towing the Jeep Wranger but with no brake controller. It peaks at 8,314 ft. I heated up the brakes pretty good on the descent. Smelled the brakes, and had to pull over part way down and let everything cool.

Yes I know a brake controller will make a big difference. I will add a brake controller for brakes on the tow vehicle.

About 10 days ago I went through Death Valley, and there was a 9% grade lasting about 7-8 miles. I was not towing, but was still down to 2nd gear and low speeds to keep from heating things up. Boy I do miss the diesel engine brake.

My hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs. But when you deep dive into the chassis GVR and CGVR, my max tow is 4,000 lbs. That presumes I have not loaded everything including the kitchen sink into the storage compartments. The more cargo I carry, the more it deducts from the max tow weight. That is a 2nd reason I am looking for a lightweight tow vehicle.

So far I am very pleased with the Newmar. But it's an adjustment from a 600hp diesel pusher (Cummins ISX engine.)

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #8  
Mine is an e450 with the 6.8. I tow over monitor pass, Sonora pass and Tioga pass. Definitely want the brake in the jeep. I use rvibrake. I even pulled my son's jeep on a flatbed over monitor & Carson pass when he broke it in the desert. No problem.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #9  
My wife and I flat tow our 2014 Focus RS Hatchback behind our slide in camper on our F350 diesel pickup. The Focus has unlimited tow speed and range too. Don't even know it's back there unless I look in the rear camera.

/ Lightweight vehicle for flat towing behind RV #10  
Manual Mini Cooper. Tows easy, tons of fun!