Lights and mirrors on a TC40D

/ Lights and mirrors on a TC40D #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
I did my first modifications to my tractor last week. Like everyone here, it seems, a front-end loader gets in the way of most grill-mounted headlights. Add my grillguard, and I can't see anything unless I carry the bucket 2" off the ground or 4-5 feet high. I have also been wanting to see what or who is behind me (usually my wife).

I bought 2 pieces of 1" box tubing 3 feet long, drilled holes, and mounted them using anti-vibration hardware to existing holes on the uprights of the loader frame. I then drilled holes and mounted universal replacement mirrors to the top. I drilled holes for driving lights such that they are largely behind the mirror heads (1 visual less obstruction).

Wiring I am not that happy with. First, I tried to run hot wires from behind the dash to the headlight lead - it drew too much, so I went to the battery with an in-line fuse directly. I may ultimately try to tap off the fuse block or the master fuse. The switch that came with the light set is dangling above the steering wheel for now as I hope to find a switch to fit one of the 4 blanks on my dash. Hot wires to the lights are tied with wire-ties on the outside for now, but I may re-route them through the inside of the tube once I get some sheathing. The grounds for the lights are directly to the tubing - easy.

So far I like the light positions - haven't done much after dark since. The mirrors I like, but they don't show as much as I want. I am probably going to drill holes and add wide-angles below.

Here are the pics....

Mark

Attachments

• 232391-Picture 153.jpg
    232391-Picture 153.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 900
   / Lights and mirrors on a TC40D
Next.....

Attachments

• 232394-Picture 154.jpg
    232394-Picture 154.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 708
Last one.....

Attachments

• 232395-Picture 156.jpg
    232395-Picture 156.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 608
   / Lights and mirrors on a TC40D #4  
Mark,

Looks good!

I want to add mirrors to my tractor as well. I wonder, do you think the lights in the location you have them offer any advantage over lights that are mounted on the ROPS?

My guess is that maybe more light goes out towards the front of the tractor, and maybe that causes less to be reflected back into the operator's eyes, helping to keep the operator's eyes adjusted for night vision. Then again, maybe not...

Anyway, good job!

Bill in Pgh, PA

Bill,

I think that the ROPS mounting is good, but I have a lot of branches that are hitting it now, plus I didn't want to drill, overload the rear wiring (already a rear worklight), or have to run wire from the back to the battery. In addition, I actually started out thinking "mirror stalks" but then added the thought "light mounting", as well. This whole set up is completely independent of the tractor and can be removed for servicing, if I hate it, etc.

So far, I'm pleased.

Thanks for the compliment,

Mark

/ Lights and mirrors on a TC40D #6  
Look under New Holland owning and operating. There is some discussion about lights that I started. (FEL and the night) A bunch of people posted good pictures there about what they did. One guy had lights under the ROPS and they faced both to the front and the back. That way there was some protection from branches etc. I think if you do a search for "rear lights" you will find some threads also.

Murph

I need to go it also but just don't have the time. Some snow would be nice so I could use my tractor also

/ Lights and mirrors on a TC40D #7  
Mark,
Very nice job of custumizing. Thank you for the pictures, I saved them for future referance.
What size are the mirrors ?

They are about 4"x6" flat mirrors that I got at Autozone for $7 each. They don't give quite the wide view I would like, so I plan on adding wider angle mirrors to the "stalk" below the existing mirrors.

Mark

/ Lights and mirrors on a TC40D #9  
good job, you wonder when the manufacturers will do something like this at the factories.

/ Lights and mirrors on a TC40D #10  
I like the mirror / lite arrangement you have. It would also give me a grab handle to get on the machine. Currently I use the loader arm which is too thick for a good gripping surface. I knew if I looked hard enough someone would have the project engineered properly. Thanks jr