3-Point Hitch Lifting capacity

/ Lifting capacity #1  

Kep1a

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 2840
I have a Montana 2840 and found I could not lift much with the FEL. I got 300 lbs of suitcase weights that I just hung on the back of my box blade and it is much better at lifting. I don't know the lifting capacity but I now have the tractor firmly planted even when unable to lift the load.

I'm thinking the forks for the front are going to be very limited at best. But I want to load and unload cargo from my truck bed and wonder what the loader lifting capacity of this Montana 2840 loader is?

I was reading about palate forks for a category 1 3 point and wonder what the lifting capacity is for my 3 point. While I can't use it for cargo in my truck bed it will certainly lift more weight. It will load items to my trailer. But how much weight is the question to see if it is worth looking to buy one.

/ Lifting capacity #2  
This lists your 3 point capacity but not your FEL. What model FEL do you have? I am going to guess it is rated somewhere around 1000 lbs to full height at the pins. Less at the tips of the forks of course. And you have to subtract the weight of the forks themselves from your lift capacity

TractorData.com Montana 284� tractor information

/ Lifting capacity
Thanks, I was thinking it was less than 1000# Even 900# seems a bit high on the FEL too. But 1596# for the three point is quite a bit more and seems a bit high too. I'm going to do some measuring and see if the height will for sure work for loading on my trailer.

/ Lifting capacity #5  
Montana put the model 100 loader on tractors from 25-50hp. So it was overkill for the smaller tractors. I recently unloaded 1,440 lbs of concrete from a 3' high box truck with my forks. The back end was a little tipsy as I only have 600lbs of ballast from my rototiller on the 3 point hitch plus loaded tires. I know in my case I don't run out of lifting power on the FEL, I run out of weight on the back end.

Your 2840 is very similar to my 2844. Same engine. I think the difference is a geared transmission vs hydrostatic one on mine, and the 2844 has a stronger 3 point system. Is you loader the curved model 100? Is so, you just need more weight on back. I know my 3 point is rated at 2600lbs, and yours is rated at 1,600 so you could easily throw 1,000 lbs on the back and not be in danger of overloading everything.

/ Lifting capacity #6  
From my experience with my Kubota M6040. You should have at least 75% to 80% of the weight on the 3-point - that you expect to lift with the FEL. Geez - that about as clear as mud. If you expect to lift 1000 pounds with the FEL - best you have at least 750 pounds on the 3-point.

I can lift 3200 pounds with my grapple. I have 1550 pounds of RimGuard in the rear tires and an 1100 pound rear blade on the 3-point. Anything above about 2700 pounds and I lift just high enough so the grapple does not leave drag marks as I back up with the load. I've had my one nerve shattering lifting experience and it left a stain all the way to the top of my socks.