Lifting a pallet of mortar

/ Lifting a pallet of mortar #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Wanted to get the mortar in the garage because its gonna rain before I get to lay any more block. Pallet had 14 bags @ 75# each + pallet. So about 1100# approx 2' beyond the cutting edge. Took ~2350 psi to make the lift. Probably could have gotten a few more bags on, but I had to jockey out of the drive you see off in the distance, and only needed to move 27 bags. So 14 on one, 13 on the other.

Not bad for a the loader on the little L3400

IMG_20150415_140629_108.jpgIMG_20150415_140707_473.jpg

/ Lifting a pallet of mortar #2  
I am a little surprised it made that lift stuck so far out there. Back when I had an L3400, I was looking around for the SSQA adapter so I could put on a set of SSQA forks, and one Kubota dealer in a town north of me, told me that putting on SSQA was worthless for that model as you could not lift enough with a set of forks to be really useful. Needless to say I kept looking and a nice Kubota dealer in Berryville Ar. was happy to sell me the adapter for $400.00.

It was NOT worthless, I lifted a heck of a lot of heavy rocks with those forks.

/ Lifting a pallet of mortar #3  
Good contact patch under them front tires. :)

Without the blade on the back you probably coulda drifted up the drive Ken Block style. :cool2:

/ Lifting a pallet of mortar
Koua: certainly not worthless. If I has a ssqa and forks, I could have probably lifted 1800# or so.

Sysop: yea, even with the blade at 700# and loaded tires it was light back there. I didn't have to back all the way out. Just far enough to clear the car and truck to get turned around. At that point, I doubt I had 100# on the rear axle. If I had my bushhog on, it would have been no worries even with a few more bags.

/ Lifting a pallet of mortar #5  
That is pretty good LD. I had to shim my old JD -750 to get it to pick up a thousand.

Is that a seven ft blade you have? If so, hows the 3400 do with it on say 8" of slushy, wet snow?

That is pretty good LD. I had to shim my old JD -750 to get it to pick up a thousand.

Is that a seven ft blade you have? If so, hows the 3400 do with it on say 8" of slushy, wet snow?

Yep its a 7' blade.

It does good in snow. I dont really have a large drive, and we dont get 8" all at once. But windrowing is a pretty good measure. The thing will push or pull or windrow all the snow it can till it looses it over the top and I dont have any traction issues.

Figured I'd give a bit of an update.

For whatever reason, I didnt use nearly as much mortar as the "general rule" I was reading about online. Everything seemed to indicate 3 bags and 1000# of sand per 100 block. So At 920 block, I got 28 bags and 5000lb of sand on the truck figuring I would go back for the rest once what was in the truck was used.

Well, got all 900+ laid, and only used 13 bags. And still had ~1000-1500# of sand left. (enough to fill a 5'x5'x8" high box so the kids can play in some sand). So ...900+ block and I only used 13 bags and ~4000# sand. Not sure , but had to take 15 bags of mortar back.

No trouble at all lifting all 15 bags, but once I got about the height of the truck, thats all she had. Fully maxed at ~2650psi on the gauge. Had to play with curl and lift to get the last bit to set it on my truck. No picture, but it would have looked the same as the first +1 bag.

They are 75# eack, so 1125# + skid @ ~2' beyond the cutting edge. Certainly not as weak as most make this loader out to be.

/ Lifting a pallet of mortar #8  
1125 lbs is a little more than 1/2 ton. This load sheds light on Mudd's 2,000 lbs number ( a number he intender to build to) 16 feet out on a boom!

I need to rig up a pressure gauge like that!

I need to rig up a pressure gauge like that!

Yea, it proves very useful at times. Good for estimating how much weight I have. But it all depends on how far out the load is. IE: 2000psi on the gauge for a load in the bucket is alot more weight than 2000PSI on the gauge with something on the forks.

A full heaping massive load of wet clay in the bucket is only ~1500psi, but probably closer to 1500lbs compared to 1200# skid on the forks that maxes out the lift at 2650psi

And if you do rig up a gauge, I like the way mine is done with QD's. I can move that gauge to any circuit, to aid in diagnostics if needed.