Life on the farm

/ Life on the farm #641  
My folks bought this 80 acres from the original homesteader in '38. Dad had always planned on retiring here. He never made it to retirement age. Wife and I moved down from Alaska in '82. None of the old homestead buildings were still here then. I can remember them because as a kid we visited the old folks here often. He had a large garden and raised sheep and chickens.

This is a painting of one of the old homestead buildings.
View attachment 782454
That's a fascinating history and actually quite good art work.

/ Life on the farm
I have a cell camera at the farm. Yesterday dad waved to me as he went by. He went to pull out a tree that fell in a field.
IMG_7874.JPG

/ Life on the farm #644  
Life on the farm if you grown anything is gonna be tough this year, real tough. Inputs are through the roof as are fuel costs and new equipment as well. I suspect a lot of smaller operations that are leveraged will fold.

/ Life on the farm
Uploaded video of dad feeding cows in 1992.

/ Life on the farm #647  
Thanks for sharing,
Too bad we don't have pictures of our neighbors and their farms from when I was a kid.
Mostly small 100 acre or so for pickling and food since many were loggers or worked in the wood pulp/mills that were prevalent.
Someone bought a shoe manufacturer up the road and made it into a house. Right in the middle of a potato field. Built mid to late 1800's. Still in great shape.
So many potato fields were left after the gov started paying farmers to not grow them.

/ Life on the farm #648  
   / Life on the farm
These photos make me wonder if a log house is under that siding. Absolutely stunning.
hugs, Brandi

Grandfathers house 2 story part is log house, with back added on.
329449231_5788950747856464_5873311224036777206_n.jpeg

His barn is a log barn also.
Probably built before 1850

My 4G grandfather settled in Ohio in 1816, born in Bucks PA in 1778 during the revolutionary war.