Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,241  
Interweb says it's 87" cut and 94" overall. Looks like a very good mower. I'm curious if he has knives or hammers on it? I have the Italian Maschio 300 with hammers.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,242  
New member of flail mower nation with a Loftness 177/72M. I have a post on it including pictures. Loftness 3pt Flail (new to me)

I’m looking for recommendations on improved mulching. With y knives I would have thought I would get good mulching but I end up with nicely cut grass and long blades laying on it. What I have done:

All blades new or freshly sharpened.

run at 540 rpm

mowed slowly

Top link parallel to gearbox shaft

Run back over it - doesn’t seem to help, and neither fresh nor 2 day old dry cuttings seem to be picked back up by the flails.

What else can I do to improve recutting/mulching?

Tilt overall mower forward/backward with hydraulic top link

Try a higher roller setting or lower (can’t go much higher/lower cut but I have some room)

Add some heavy material over back discharge chute to possibly encourage recutting (what I have is the original discharge deflector which has no adjustment)

Which of the above or other ideas are most likely to help more finely shred the cuttings?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,243  
By raising the rear roller you are lowering the cutting height;
this is what you need to do to recut the material finely as long as
the belts are tight and the gearbox is level-never mind the shaft.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,244  
I don't think knives are as good at mulching as hammers are. Mine mulches really well and it doesn't matter much how I set it up.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,245  
I don't think knives are as good at mulching as hammers are. Mine mulches really well and it doesn't matter much how I set it up.
Does that apply to tall grass as well?

curiosity only. The one I have doesn’t allow for hammers, only y knives

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,247  
I have hammers on mine. They were getting pretty beat up so I thought about replacing them. But at 24 canuckastan dollars each and needing 55 of them I thought I’d try sharpening them. So I flipped it on its back and spent an hour with a grinder and cleaned em up. They’re working almost like new.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,248  
Looky what I just picked up 🙂👍

PXL_20210723_190638806.jpg

PXL_20210723_190638806.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,249  
It's to hot to keep unpacking this thing but here is a better picture.

PXL_20210723_220201124.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,250  
Hammers or blades? That mower looks like a first cousin to my Maschio. Some assembly required.