Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,171  
Posted this in the "TODAY'S SEAT TIME" thread and then figured that it should be here as well.

Was out for a second mowing with the MXZ220 and decided to try out the flail in some really tall stuff just to see what would happen. About 7' tall, first mowing of the year (it's a dead-end short stretch which I was figuring I was going to mow with my 6' bush hog). Contrary to the manufacturer's warning to avoid mowing really tall grass, I didn't experience any issues (no sense of grass wrapping up in the flail- I'm going to open it up and take a look, but after mowing this section I went on to mow a lot more more normal height grass and the flail operated as expected). Was actually impressed on the cut. SLOW going, but the same would be the case with my 6' bush hog.

Attachments

• mowing.jpg
    mowing.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 563

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,172  
Greetings,
I am posting after using this site quite a bit to research tractor/ implements that I have purchased. Thanks to everyone that has contributed as there is a wealth of knowledge available here. I have my dad’s old flail mower, which my best guess it’s an old Mott but no tags or numbers I can find. While researching to find new knifes for this I discovered the ditch bank flail mower which is exactly what I need to mow the creek that divides my property. Then I priced them out north of 7k and thought this wasn’t going to happen soon. More reading and I found the imports not from Italy. Seems like for the most part everyone was happy with them. I decided to purchase a nova tractor BCRM 175 mostly because they had in stock. It arrived in 6 days and took a couple of hours to assemble. I used it for a short time and was initially very impressed with what it can do. I would recommend adjusting roller to highest cut on the first try as I destroyed a few rocks on my first cut, it dinged up a few of the hammers but they still seem to cut pretty well. Itching to get back on it in a couple weeks and see what else this thing can do. I included some photos of both and maybe someone can tell me more about the old one as I will be repairing it and putting it back in operation. Thanks to all for their input and opinions as it has been very helpful for me.

Attachments

• F01EA2CF-F9FC-4583-A7EA-0E6CAADFE767.jpeg
    F01EA2CF-F9FC-4583-A7EA-0E6CAADFE767.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
  • 2B1727B1-7B57-4B56-887A-462326EA7A9D.jpeg
    2B1727B1-7B57-4B56-887A-462326EA7A9D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 129
  • 97B18A03-1201-48A4-B28B-A031D15D0295.jpeg
    97B18A03-1201-48A4-B28B-A031D15D0295.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 121
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,173  
Anyone know anything about cartiner flails?

Attachments

• 00z0z_3necrKKlas1z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00z0z_3necrKKlas1z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 00000_BxL8kjxo18z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00000_BxL8kjxo18z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 98
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,174  
Greetings,
I am posting after using this site quite a bit to research tractor/ implements that I have purchased. Thanks to everyone that has contributed as there is a wealth of knowledge available here. I have my dad’s old flail mower, which my best guess it’s an old Mott but no tags or numbers I can find. While researching to find new knifes for this I discovered the ditch bank flail mower which is exactly what I need to mow the creek that divides my property. Then I priced them out north of 7k and thought this wasn’t going to happen soon. More reading and I found the imports not from Italy. Seems like for the most part everyone was happy with them. I decided to purchase a nova tractor BCRM 175 mostly because they had in stock. It arrived in 6 days and took a couple of hours to assemble. I used it for a short time and was initially very impressed with what it can do. I would recommend adjusting roller to highest cut on the first try as I destroyed a few rocks on my first cut, it dinged up a few of the hammers but they still seem to cut pretty well. Itching to get back on it in a couple weeks and see what else this thing can do. I included some photos of both and maybe someone can tell me more about the old one as I will be repairing it and putting it back in operation. Thanks to all for their input and opinions as it has been very helpful for me.
bigaledge32, what is the cutting height range of your Nova BCRM 175?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,175  
Good morning bigalege32,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from the Great State of Michigan.
I am always interested in new reports of the resident sasquatch's and any reports of black helicopters.
I worked with folks from White Pine, Michigan many years ago. Its a real shame what happened to the mine when Louisiana Land
and Development scaled back the mines operations and to see it shut down and flooded was a real shock.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,177  
I've read through much of this thread, but not all. I don't think I've answered my question from what I've seen so far.

My grandparents-in law and I share a zero turn. I'm not sure what will happen to it when they pass away.

If I ever need a mower I plan to buy some sort of mower for my bx1880. I think I would like a flail due to its multi-purpose capabilities. I have some areas under and around my Leland Cypress trees that grow up with woody weeds that I have to hit with a string trimmer and brush cutter head. I don't have any saplings that I'd be chewing up. I also have some aggressive thorny vines of some kind that come up, maybe as big around as my thumb.

The 1880 is limited on PTO horsepower, but my gut tells me I could mow my lawn and trim this type of junk okay with a flail and my tractor. Do y'all agree? I'm guessing a 48" model.

I also like that I could put dethathing flails on it and either dethatch the lawn, or tear up th surface a bit for future seeding projects.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,179  
Good morning bigalege32,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from the Great State of Michigan.
I am always interested in new reports of the resident sasquatch's and any reports of black helicopters.
I worked with folks from White Pine, Michigan many years ago. Its a real shame what happened to the mine when Louisiana Land
and Development scaled back the mines operations and to see it shut down and flooded was a real shock.
Thanks for the membership. This is our resident Sasquatch, no black helicopters but many maize and blue ones

Attachments

• F5CE8D1D-5D66-416C-8195-B9515B4849A5.jpeg
    F5CE8D1D-5D66-416C-8195-B9515B4849A5.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 106
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,180  
According to the manual 20-75 mm
I was hoping it was really more than what their website showed.

For a tool used to mow ditch banks it seems really a goof up to have the low end be 20mm (about 3/4") I wonder what the engineer was thinking?

It seems like say 2" to 5" would be mower usable unless they marketing it towards say a golf course type application.