Lets talk Crossbows !!!

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
I used to shoot/hunt with the old fashion recure bows way back when and had a great time doing so.After some rotatercuff surgery about 5 years back I bought a tenpoint defender cls crossbow(330FPS).After using it a few times the bow was just to darn heavy I believe over 8 lbs.10 ounces.Yesterday I traded it on a Parker tunderhawk(320 FPS)crossbow with lighted red-dot scope that weighs in at around 6 lbs and its Very compact.I also purchased six 20 inch.red-dot carbon fiber arrows.I got her home and sighted in a 20 yards,dead nuts tack driver.What make crossbow or bow are ya shooting?

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #2  
.What make crossbow or bow are ya shooting?

For years I have been a big Excalibur fan. I shoot a Vortex w/a scope and a 175lb draw older model Exocet175 w/iron sights. I 'am not compareing Excaliburs with any other brands but I prefer the recurve no cam systems myself. Less moveing parts ,less things that could go wrong , lighter in the field, and easy to restring in field if your strings breaks. I have not looked and or researched crossbows in quite a while but if I had to buy another make it would probably be a TenPoint.

Oh BTW if I had anything negative to say about my Excal's I'd say they are loud but by the time game heres it or sqwints down "bolt" which is what a crossbow arrow is called is threw them.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 104
   / Lets talk Crossbows !!! #3  
I used to shoot/hunt with the old fashion recure bows way back when and had a great time doing so.After some rotatercuff surgery about 5 years back I bought a tenpoint defender cls crossbow(330FPS).After using it a few times the bow was just to darn heavy I believe over 8 lbs.10 ounces.Yesterday I traded it on a Parker tunderhawk(320 FPS)crossbow with lighted red-dot scope that weighs in at around 6 lbs and its Very compact.I also purchased six 20 inch.red-dot carbon fiber arrows.I got her home and sighted in a 20 yards,dead nuts tack driver.What make crossbow or bow are ya shooting?

Never shot a crossbow, but I started on a Fred Bear TRX 400 a few years ago and moved up to a new PSE Sinister this winter. What a difference!!! My sinister is chrono'd at 312 fps @ 60#, 29" draw. I'm shooting a 4" group @ 40 yds. At only 28" axle-to-axle, this one will be absolutely deadly maneuverable in the stand. I cannot wait until whitetail opens up this fall...Here's a few pics:

ForumRunner_20140711_170633.png

ForumRunner_20140711_170712.png

ForumRunner_20140711_170802.jpg

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #4  
When you sight in, what are you using for the backstop? I'm thinking about using old haybales. Trying to figure out what's gonna damage bolts the least.

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #5  
When you sight in, what are you using for the backstop? I'm thinking about using old haybales. Trying to figure out what's gonna damage bolts the least.

I'm pretty sure any decent crossbow is going to blow through a hay bale, my bow did it when I missed the bag target a couple times. We use a shooting lane until we get it where we're not likely to miss the bag now.

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #6  
When sighting in a crossbow if I don't have have a good rest or one near by I use my pole cat single leg shooting stick.
BTW these sticks have giving me great results with a rifle also at long ranges in areas where there was not a good place for a rest. Pole Cat makes a dang good shooting stick with the Will Primos name on it . Sold in Wallmarts for about $50.

Attachments

• images9Y6UATRD.jpg
    images9Y6UATRD.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 60
  • pod-500x500.jpg
    pod-500x500.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 64
   / Lets talk Crossbows !!!
I am using a magic stop bow target.Arrows come out real easy also.

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #8  
As I have gotten older I load mine with a rope cocking device. I can also load my string with gloves on easier , but with bare hands it can be a bear if I didn't eat my Wheaties that morning. I'am talking about 200 lb plus draw weights.
Anybody shooting a crossbow with built in rope cocker ? I would imagine that will add extra weight to your rig.......

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!!
As I have gotten older I load mine with a rope cocking device. I can also load my string with gloves on easier , but with bare hands it can be a bear if I didn't eat my Wheaties that morning. I'am talking about 200 lb plus draw weights.
Anybody shooting a crossbow with built in rope cocker ? I would imagine that will add extra weight to your rig.......
My tenpoint had the built in rope cocker and it did add weight.IMHO don,t like the built in ones.

/ Lets talk Crossbows !!! #10  
I found a Man Kung-180 on ebay, and at the last 5 seconds it was still around $50, free shipping, brand new, and came with 20 arrows. I figured I can't pass on it for that price. The scope that came with it is cheesy, the arrows where pretty cheaply made, but it's been fun to play with. It was advertised as 180 lbs by the eBay selller; but turns out it's 130 lbs according to Man Kung online. I shoot at a 50 lbs chicken feed page full of well packed sand. No pass through.