Let’s play a game

/ Let’s play a game #11  
$432??? lol

Need a plan for lubricants, too. Have 7 diesel engines in use. 5 are over 6L in displacement and have 15 quart pans.
Looks like oil has gone up 2-3X since 1/21 so a plan is needed to save money on oil and fossil fuels.

Last edited:
   / Let’s play a game #12  
Just check the price of things on Amazon. They may not be the cheapest but are usually close. I buy most of my oil at Walmart.

/ Let’s play a game #16  
I'm with you, I never drank the Amsoil kool-aid.
I've watched the 'Amsoil' story on YT more than once and from what I see, they buy their base oil stocks just like everyone else does (in rail cars from various refiners) and then add their secret ingredients (just like the major refiners do for their lubricating oils as well). They all 'fortify' their base oils, not just Amsoil.

40+ years of Shell for me and never a lubrication related failure and that includes well over 2 million mimes in a Class 8 diesel big truck.

As a matter of reference, back when Electromotive was in McCook, Illinois, they ran a first article test on 85-90 Spirax gear oil using 3 final drives and ran them to destruction and maximum load. One was run dry, one was run with ordinary off the shelf 80-90 gear oil (brand not specified and the 3rd one had Shell Spirax 80-90 gear oil in it. At the conclusion of the test, the final drive with the Spirax in it showed no appreciable wear at all. Needless to say, all my final drives have Spirax in them. You can goggle up the test results, I'm sure they are available online, everything is today.

Electromotive has a very nice testing facility in McCook. I visited it more than once. I use it in my final drives and Donax spindle oil in mu machine tools as well as Rotella T6 in my engines.

/ Let’s play a game #18  
I go buy it, again preferably local.
I don't know how many of you have been watching Amazon pricing increases but lately, I'm finding the same products at local B&M for less than what Amazon is now asking.

/ Let’s play a game #19  
Amazon is all about convenience and not much else A month ago I did purchase a metric grease fitting assortment (to replenish my waning stock of fittings). Bought their recommended (Amazon recommended) assortment. It was Chinese. The M10.5 fittings and the M9's were all useless and I tossed them. The threads on them looked terrible. looked like an afterthought. I gave them a bad review too. Interestingly, I was at HF and saw they had the metric fittings and the threads were actually threads so I bought 2 packs and Viola, they work just fine. Should have looked there first.

Don't buy grease fittings from Amazon, they are junk, at least the 'Amazon recommended' ones are.

Yes, their prices aren't all that good anymore.

/ Let’s play a game
Just check the price of things on Amazon. They may not be the cheapest but are usually close. I buy most of my oil at Walmart.
I check prices against Amazon/walmart/others and as long as the local guy is within a certain percentage I support local. I've never had walmart or amazon go out of their way to help me or been there when I really needed XYZ part but the local folks will be...if we keep them around.