Leaves

/ Leaves #21  
sherpa; Glad it worked for you too! Advice and knowledge sharing can be a lot of fun! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Leaves #22  
I'm jealous!

After the leaves start falling here, I can't bring my tractor in the yard because it makes serious ruts.

I mow mine with a regular riding mower and make windrows. I run over the windrows with a mulching push mower and the leaves disappear into the grass. Repeat every week for 5 weeks, and I'm finished! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Until next year. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Leaves
All I can say is, I much rather be sitting in that tractor seat riding than walking around in the yard for 2 hours with that backpack on. I been wearing that thing on my back since 1999! Man that was fun yesterday!
Sherpa

/ Leaves #24  
Sherpa,
If you want the MAX LEAF SYSTEM, wear your leaf blower backpack while on the tractor! Anything you miss can be blown to another location, plus you might want to post a pic of yourself doing it so we can all get it right!

/ Leaves
I will work on that but I am out of leaves! I had so much fun the other day I went out and did it again this morning. Theres not much left. I cannot express it enough that this is so much better than running up and down these hills with a heavy backpack on.
Sherpa

/ Leaves #26  
So, you are just backing up and then going forward over the leaves? And that motion obliterates them? I can't do it now as I have a brand new lawn and I just feel I cant' cover the seedlings up, but next year I'll try it, bw

/ Leaves #27  
I have two mature walnut trees that have dropped a ton of leaves. I can't get in there with the tractor, but I have a 6HP push mower that is pretty light. The trick is to get the mower as low as possible, so that the leaves can't spin out until they are good and pulverized. I will try to get pictures of this because its like I am erasing the leaves. The leaves have the ground completely covered when I start, but it looks like they were never there when I finish. I mow in concentric circles clockwise because the mower tends to want to deposit on the right. Larger bits that blow to the right get picked up on the next pass.

Honestly, this is something I learned on my own out of laziness 20 years ago. Raking bad. Mowing good. From that point on, I have never raked leaves that I can recall. I blow or brush other stray leaves off of areas un-mowable (the deck for instance /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) to where I can mow em.

I will tilt the mower back (danger danger it says never to do this) and use the mower to blow the leaves off of rocks etc.

I would think the same things apply to larger mowers.

/ Leaves
I just lift the front of the mower about 3 inches with the 3pt lift and ride. I have a rear discharge mower and when I back up it gets the rest if anything is left. I dont have a lot of grass to mow, I bought the finish mower last year just to mow my neighbors lawn. I live in the Pisgah National Forest (lots of trees). My neighbor has a cabin down the road and lives in Raleigh and contracted with me to mow his grass a couple of days before he comes up. I had no ideal I could rid myself of these leaves while riding on my tractor. I have been dealing with these leaves for 15 years with a backpack! Now I am looking for leaves to run over.
Sherpa

/ Leaves
Westonium,
Thats gets rid of them! Thats neat how you made the slide show. You took the pics at the same spot and it did look like majic.
Sherpa