Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK?

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK?
Probably not you but the model you are wearing. I’ve been wearing Redwing boots a long time. I still have 3 pair that were bought over the last 30 years. Two are well worn but very serviceable work boots. The third I wear for casual dress. All three are model 1178 and they are Made in the USA. The soles have never worn out and they are still comfortable. The heels have worn a little but that has been over 20 and 30 years.

Ive worn out a lot of other work, dress and casual shoes and boots in that time frame but the Redwing 1178’s are still good. Made in the USA!
Wow, I never knew about the 1178. What a great looking boot. It's as nosebleed price so look slowly.

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK? #32  
I spilled a good bit of diesel on my pants leg last year while installing a fuel pump. I made the mistake of putting them through the washer/dryer. Didn't fix the problem but made all the other laundry smell like diesel for a couple batches. The washer and dryer had a diesel funk for a while too. My wife is just now beginning to let me forget about it.

The pants were new and I didn't want to toss them. I ended up soaking them with orange-based hand degreaser and then dawn dishwashing soap. Finally they were safe enough to put through the washing machine without causing a divorce.

I swear I was smelling diesel on my work clothes for a few months as I made my way through that original batch of laundry, which had been washed at least twice. That stuff is potent.

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK? #33  
Wow, I never knew about the 1178. What a great looking boot. It's as nosebleed price so look slowly.
Worth every penny. IMHO, of course.

The cork infused sole wears a long time and is quiet on almost any surface. Very comfortable but take time to break in.

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK? #34  
Perhaps filling with charcoal briquettes will help get rid of the smell quicker...

NOT the kind that are on fire

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK?
I'm the OP on this and after two years can barely tell the difference in the look of one boot from the other. I thought it might rot or deteriorate the leather but it didn't.

In the last two years I've saddle soaped and boot oiled them maybe three times. I'm generally not in water with them and mostly rural agricultural and machinery pursuits.

Bottom line; spilling diesel was no big concern likely because of my rapid clean up and regular maintenance. Laugh if you will that I take care of my boots but they're over $200 and buying them once is enough.

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK? #39  
Just came across this thread and wanted to share my thoughts. To take care of your boots, just let them air dry naturally. Avoid using any heat sources like a hairdryer, as that can damage the leather.

/ Leather boot got soaked in diesel fuel. Will it be OK? #40  
With the diesel fuel exposure, your boots might develop a unique patina, which can actually add character to them over time. If you're looking for more tips on how to care for your boots, you can check out vonbaer.com. They have some great advice on leather care.